Hydroponics - Snake Plant

firefly1330July 3, 2012

I have been having a problem with fungus gnats for over a year now. I have tried everything under the sun and have decided I am going to go all hydroponics/hydroculture on my houseplants.

I have found a lot of good information out there about transferring plants from soil to non-soil. However, one thing I can't seem to find any information on is about transferring older plants.

As seen in the photo below I have a large snake (mother-in-law's tongue) plant. I actually have two sets of the plant. I am not exactly sure how old the plant is since I adopted it from the college.

Is there a way I can transfer this plant without killing it since it is used to living in soil for so long? Any suggestions would help me out tremendously!

Thank you,

Kaitlin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grizzman

The process is the same only way may want to root prune/divide the plant and turn it into several smaller ones.
Also, pruning the branches helps too. less vegetable for damaged roots to feed. Just be careful and take your time and most plants will rebound.
usually, a heavy layer of river gravel over the soil (in the pot)will deter fungus gnats by keeping the gnats away from their food source.

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 2:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
firefly1330

Thank you grizzman! I'll keep you guys up to date.

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 12:01AM
More Discussions
Pepper Plant Fruiting
Hi, I am wondering if I can keep continuously fruiting...
StonedTree
Hydroponic Strawberry's not doing so hot.
I have some hydroponic Strawberry's they are looking...
bigmuddyfoot
Sea 90 any good?
Is Sea 90 any good for Kratke non circulating method? I...
Lee Williams
What can I do to learn more about planting or farming????
Hi all! I'm a beginner at hydroponics gardening......
skttls
Exploring the Kratky Hydroponic method for indoor vegetable growi
I've beem OD'ing on Youtube and Garden Web exploration...
delaware
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™