Pruning or cutting Nikko Blue

lee_paJuly 5, 2009

I cut the bulbs off my Nikko blue today as an experiment. I cut the bulbs off one plant and left the bulbs on the other. I hope I will have blooms next year on the one I cut. I'm new to gardening so any help is useful. Here are my questions.

1. Will I have blooms next year.

2. When is the best time to prune Nikko Blue.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Nikko Blue blooms on year old wood (ie, from wood that matured last year). If your winters are too cold, the buds will die.

Folks in cold climates do better with paniculatas (called peegees), also remontant macrophyllas (reblooming mopheads) because both kinds bloom on new wood.

Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 1:14AM
lsimms(6a-6bMA)

There's a house in our town with a hedge of Nikko's. They never prune them. Some years it blooms, some years it doesn't. It depends on the winter and that's pretty much it. The buds survive or they don't.

Good Luck!

Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 7:27PM
Carol_SE_PA_6

Lee - I'm in Montgomery County, PA and my Nikko Blue blooms on old wood. What you cut now, should rebloom next year. You can cut off the dead bloom anytime and still get new blooms but no further down than the old bloom. If you want to trim back the bush, do so right after blooming. My mow and blow guy thought he was doing me a favor and cut back my NB drastically in the spring and I only have a few blooms on it this summer.

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 1:57PM
johnw_gardener

I work as a gardener on an estate in Greenwich, CT....last year the 30 or so Nikko Blues we have flowered beautifully....this year, very few, very disappointing. I guess due to the harsh January around here. Didn't seem to be any particularly late ,severe frosts.
Like 1simms says, pretty much hit or miss in our marginal area. I think some people north of here dig them out and store them indoors in a protected area each fall.
When we planted these 3 or 4 years back, it would have been better to use more of the endless summer or forever young(?) varieties that bloom on new wood.
The Annabelles, oakleafs, and paniculatas are doing beautifully. I have pruned some of the Nikko blues in the past 2 weeks to limit their size.

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 5:57PM
More Discussions
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
How are those limelight hedges looking? (pic)
I know a lot of us were planting limelight hedges this...
joannemb
I assume all is lost. ?
Deer have decimated almost all of my hydrangeas - probably...
luckyladyslipper
Container size for hydrangea
I have a landscape plan made for my yard by a pro who...
cakbu
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™