Rocks - then & now

HerbSeptember 8, 2005

These are pictures of a rock arrangement in the Tea Garden of the Nitobe Memorial Garden in Vancouver.

In the left-hand picture, the rocks (in 1970) look much the same colour as rocks I've seen locally when they were newly excavated. The same rocks have later shown up - after a thorough hosing down - as blue as the rocks in the right-hand picture. The right-hand picture was taken today.

Apart from the rocks' change of colour, the most noticeable change is that the hedge has been removed. The ground cover is different too.

Click to see & compare

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keithnotrichard

The two photos don't have the same exposure/color balance. It's pretty obvious if you look at the plant foliage.

Bookmark   September 8, 2005 at 10:21AM
Herb

KNR - I think you've got close to the explanation, & I was mistaken to assume there'd been a drastic change of colour. The older picture was taken using Kodak colour film (Kodacolor, I think) - and I digitalised the left-hand picture from a print which had probably faded over the years. After reading your post, I looked at some more pictures taken at the same time as the left-hand one, and at least one of them does show some of the rocks with a slight blue colour - Click to see it

Bookmark   September 8, 2005 at 11:05AM
patjonking(z7 VA)

I suspect that weathering can eventually make even an ugly rock look decent, but I wonder how long it would take.

Bookmark   May 22, 2006 at 12:58PM
More Discussions
Can gravel be kept clean with a leaf blower?
Can graveled areas be kept clean with a leaf blower?...
castorp
Where can I find buyers for these large rocks/boulders?
Hi we are thinking to re-landscape our yard. The previous...
fggirl
Dwarf Japanese Maple Damage from snow
We just had a severe snow event last week (5 1/2 ft)...
ally77dano20
Japanese Maple Cultivars that will root from cuttings:
I caught the Japanese maple bug two summers ago with...
directorrod
japanese ilex
I'm still learning about bonsai and i was wondering...
fallennobody
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™