Awesome, please invite me ;-)

1 Like    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 3:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jetherina(5b)

That is beautiful !!

1 Like    Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 6:35AM
mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)

Real nice! Neat and tidy. (Unlike my garden)
I'm guessing you live in the Pacific northwest, west of the Cascade mountains. The clues are, the basalt column and Swordfern. Is that a Vine Maple?
Mike

1 Like    Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 8:33AM
Maxxx

amazing! love it.

1 Like    Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 10:57PM
Socal2warm

If I can throw in some criticism, those pink flower bushes should have been used more sparingly. And the path would probably have been better off without that gravel. Japanese gardens often do make use of gravel, but one must know exactly how to properly use it.

Also, the Japanese influence seems a little 'forced', really not something one wants to do if one truly wants to emulate Japanese aesthetic values. Neither is your garden very grand.

Honestly, the basalt (although I do like it) may not have been the best to go with the rounded form of the Japanese garden.

1 Like    Bookmark   January 29, 2015 at 6:19PM
texjagman(7A)

But other that that you like it right???? Geeesh

1 Like    Bookmark   February 3, 2015 at 11:46AM
waterbug_guy(Phoenix AZ (Melrose))

I like it a lot. I mean come on, it's beautiful.

But also this is a Japanese garden forum. You did ask what people think. So....

I'm just learning Japanese garden design so I have no criticism.

I do appreciate you posting the question and also Socal2warm's comments because from what I've learned so far they seemed valid points for a Japanese garden. There was some detail. It wasn't just "Yuk". The criticism helped me with my garden design which is why I'm here.

On now for some totally unrelated random junk....

I used to post in other forums covering subjects I have experience with and it is a problem...many people posting only want encouragement which is perfectly fine. Other people want help which is fine. Responding to these posts is really difficult because there's no way to tell if the OP is looking for compliments to help them continue in the hobby or they actually want help.

Today 90% of the time they want compliments only, and often get pretty mad (not you, others) if anything else is given. How mad? Death threat mad, I kid you not.

30 years ago (I'm really old) only diehard fanatics would spend $3000 for a computer, a 150 baud modem and wait 40 minutes for a text post to download. Pictures? What's a picture? It was always OK to give criticism. Still made everyone mad but in a constructive way. People who only said nice things were called names and driven off. It was harsh, but that was the world of diehard hobby fanatics.

The times they are a changing and smartphones moved the pace into hyper drive. I'm a software engineer and one of the things I create are bots. Software that act like people. The opposite of evil these steal nothing and only hand out positive comments. Forum owners (not this one) buy these so it looks like they have lots of users and make the real people feel good. When a person posts a pic the bot almost always says something positive. "That's beautiful!" Easy to program.

Everyone is happy. My bots are very well liked. This is no secret. It's well known 70% or more of tweets are from bots. Facebook, YouTube and all social networks have lots of bots. They do no evil, they only compliment, never post anything controversial, they don't steal stuff, they're there with the web site owner's permission (direct or implied) and people absolutely love them. 6,000 friends on Facebook makes a person feel loved...until they hear about someone with 10,000 friends of course. In the back of their head they may know it's all fake, but people still crave it.

It's the new world. You now can choose which news to read so you only get your opinions repeated back to you. "News" web sites like CNN already changes content based on who's reading. And web sites know more about you than you do. You can post the most crazy thing online and get a dozen bots telling you how clever you are.

This is getting to be a huge business, all possible because people love it.

But there are still a few real people hanging about answering questions. Long rambling posts that almost no one cares about. So unfortunately, for a little while longer, people will have to put up with other people's opinions. But soon, very soon, nothing but positive stuff.

In the mean time you can buy personal bots that you can configure to respond to your own posts in positive ways. Facebook, forums, whatever. When someone criticizes one of your posts you can even direct some to come to your aid. It's pretty cool.

I recently stopped posting in many public forums because it just upsets posters to hear stuff they really don't want to hear. Instead I now post mainly in non-public forums on the deep web. They don't show up in search engines and so are only found by private invitation. There it's still OK to give constructive criticism and learn. Very, very small groups. No advertising. No bots, just real people. But a person must be secure enough to accept constructive criticism at least somewhat.

Why post this? Cause I'm looking for deep net Japanese garden blogs and forums to be invited to...hint, hint.

2 Likes    Bookmark   February 3, 2015 at 1:35PM

I like it. Not my style, but I like it. (I have dogs and grandkids)
Any garden can be subject to changes. It's the nature of gardening.
Well done, and in a very small area.
On second thought and closer examination, maybe located in Europe.
Mike

1 Like    Bookmark   February 3, 2015 at 1:44PM

I have been in some gardening forums that are nothing more than a mutual pat on the back clique. Any criticism or helpful suggestions are attacked with a vengeance. Some say if you can't say anything good, don't say anything at all. I don't see it that way.

I know gardening and garden design well enough to give constructive suggestions that should have some validity. I don't mind good debate, but I'm dismayed when it's disregarded.
years ago I worked two years for a Japanese American landscaping company. I was the only Caucasian. We installed Japanese landscapes. I'm no expert on it, but I do know the essence of it and a lot of the reasons why it is the way it is. I also had my own landscape and design firm for 35 years. I did more conventional designs, but with an Asian influence.

I too, thought Socal2warm made some good points. I would add that it seems crowded and needs some 'negative space'. It's a bit overdone for me.
Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of my garden...mostly.

Bookmark   February 3, 2015 at 2:25PM

And it would be great imo to say why criticism isn't valid. Maybe the garden is intended to fuse English and Japanese...I don't know. But I sure would like to hear about the design, the goal, the thinking. More interesting imo.

Bookmark   February 3, 2015 at 10:00PM
Socal2warm

It can be difficult to incorporate ALL the characteristic elements of a Japanese garden into a small space, because Japanese aesthetics is about simplicity.

The lighter pink bushes on the left seem more authentic than some of the other flower bushes. The reddish color and bougainvillea deep purplish pink bush on the far right do not seem like they fit into a Japanese garden so well.

I like the center (on the left), but the side against the fence (on the right) does not look quite right for some reason. Possibly the bright flower bushes just draw too much attention away from the center? Or it just seems it is lacking something? Japanese design is about dissymmetry, so perhaps the plants on the outside against the fence are too similar to the ones in the center. It just seems too 'uniform' (can't think of a better word). Or maybe it just seems unbalanced. Could you plant a tree or tall bush on the other side (against the fence) to give it more weight? or maybe a very large round boulder. Difficult to provide any exact suggestions to tell you what do.

In my last post, when I stated that your garden is not "grand", I meant that there is not some big red bridge or cherry blossom tree, no big distinctive landmark Japanese-design focal piece. not that the absence of such is in any way a bad thing, but I simply meant that if you had incorporated such a piece, even if it was not really properly warranted in the space, it could be forgiven.

Bookmark   February 3, 2015 at 10:16PM

Based on past experience in forums on other subjects I try to remember that opinions, suggestions, etc., are based on photos. In person a garden has always in my experience been completely different. I've often changed my mind completely after seeing a garden in person.

Photos are being discussed, not the garden. There is a big difference imo. It's up to the OP/designer to figure out if suggestions have any relevance. It's the best that can be hoped for online.

Bookmark   February 4, 2015 at 12:53PM
Ramon Smit

mr socal2warm are u some sort of authorithy on japanese gardens ???

a japanes garden is a depicment of a natural scenery a Japanese Gardener told me

Ramon Smit ( owner and designer od this garden

if you want to see the complete garden i have a facebook page dedicated to my garden called

www.facebook.com/ramonsgarden so you can see the complete lot

Ps The Pink "Bushes" are azaleas

and its is situated in the Netherlands , Gouda to be precise

Bookmark   February 9, 2015 at 12:11PM
j1mmyt

Ramon, your Facebook garden pics are amazing

Bookmark   on Wednesday at 12:29PM
More Discussions
Canadian west coast winter
Not a desirable state for a layout aspiring to look...
hitchhogg
Torii
I built a Japanese Torii for my garden.
Meezplz
Need help choosing plants in JG style
Hi, I need help of the folks with experiences in Japanese...
green_go
Your Japanese garden questions
There seems to be little new questions on this forum....
ja-gardener
Do deer damage rhododendrons in Puget Sound?
Has anyone ever experienced deer damage to rhododendrons...
Giacamo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™