Growing Bearded Iris vs. Dutch Iris

redsox_gwApril 28, 2009

Since I don't know much about growing irises, I wanted to ask the differences between growing the Dutch vs Bearded. I know the appearance is very different.

Does one perennialize better than the other? Bloom time and duration different? Or just a matter of personal preference? Anybody grow both? Any pictures? Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kprp(6)

In my experience (I'm in zone 6) most TB irises increase.

Dutch iris do not, and the Dutch iris peter out after a while. But they are lovely little things and are not expensive.

You can have both, why choose one over the other?

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 4:25PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

You can find Lots of TB pics at Snowpeak (hot link below) and to see Dutch iris, which grow from bulbs, do a google image search.

I have heard zone 6 is too cold for Dutch iris to naturalize as kprp says.

As for differences, Dutch iris take less space, are shorter and are wonderful cut flowers for mixed spring bouquets. TBs form much larger clumps, are much taller and aren't too great for bouquets. One stem is quite dramatic but make sure it isn't one that 'drips' after cutting.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.snowpeakiris.com/newweb/navpage.htm

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 2:45AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I have bought Dutch irises twice that I can remember. They do not multiply and in fact dwindle, and this year what few bulbs are left only sent up foliage...the same as last year. I'll not buy any more of those for sure.

Sue

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 12:00PM
redsox_gw

Don't want dwindlers. Thank you.

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 12:38PM
ibartoo(z8 sc)

I am sorry someone else has had the same experience with dutch iris that I have had. I thought I had done something wrong with them.
Mine were gorgeous the first year and then nothing but foliage the 2nd year. it wouldn't be so bad if they would reproduce so that you would have flowers for more than 1 year.
Linda

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 10:15AM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

I am going to try the Dutch Iris this fall. The experiences and success or failure with the Dutch Iris seem to be all over the place, nothing consistent. They are so beautiful that I simply have to try for myself. They don't cost much so really not much money ventured, simply time and effort to plant them.

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 12:46PM
organic_kitten(8)

My dutch iris were beautiful this year. Rita, they aactually bloomed before the tulips did. I hope to have another flush of them, but it may get too hot. The grower sent my order a second time when the Dutch iris were almost bloomed out, so I planted them "just in case" $15 for 40 was cheap enough to risk.

kay

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 4:18PM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

Oh, I love them. The dutch Iris were not something I even knew about until this spring. Someplace I was looking at iris (long before I bought any) had a picture of Dutch Iris and I thought to myself, I wonder what they are. I couldn't believe how beautiful they are.

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 6:29PM
organic_kitten(8)

Rita,
I love the too. of course, the early bloom is good too.
kay

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 8:39PM
More Discussions
Need help with wire worms in my new iris beds
I have hundreds of new tall bearded irises that I planted...
kathemm
Planting Iris in March-April in Zone 7 ?
I have a lot of new Iris rhizomes to plant. Here in...
maximus2015
Consequences of transplanting in winter/early spring, zone 5
Hello, I have a question about transplanting irises....
kmburton
daves10z7annv
Dividing irises
How often are irises supposed to be divided? I moved...
Carla1
Sponsored Products
Fosters Point Wood With Iris Lotus Pods Birch Tree
Beyond Stores
Blue Iris Place Mat - Set of 24
$9.99 | zulily
New London Bronze Four-Light Bath Fixture
$202.50 | Bellacor
Moooi | Delft Blue No. 3
$648.00 | YLighting
Calphalon Contemporary Nonstick 12-Piece Cookware Set - 1876788
$449.99 | Hayneedle