Bargain Deal at Lowes

msalcido(7/8 (Dallas/Ft.Worth))July 8, 2010

I just purchased this F & E at Lowes. Not sure what kind it is because the tag was missing. I got it for the bargain price of $5.98. It was marked down from $19.98 to $9.98 but since it only has one bloom which is already green I talked the sales guy down to $5.98

Is it to late in the season to plant? Should I put it in a pot and wait till spring to put it in the ground?

Does anyone know what kind it is?

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dondeldux

Mike, Can't help with the variety, but you've got plenty of time to get that into the ground! Around here, we plant hydrangeas in the ground into September and I'm sure you have great weather way beyond us. You still have plenty of time to grow a good root system in the ground! Haven't a clue what that could be, it could even be miss-marked, but then you'll have a surprise next year and whatever it is I'm sure it will be a good surprise!!

By the way, what ever advice I give, remember I am NO expert, so if anyone else thinks differently please say so, my advice is for MA only everything else is an assumption!!

Donna

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 5:40PM
msalcido(7/8 (Dallas/Ft.Worth))

Thanks Donna, I appreciate your input. I'm in Dallas, and the weather right now has been very HOT and humid. I was thinking it would be OK to plant in the ground as well. I just need to find a spot for it.
It has a very large mophead bloom on it so, not quite sure what type. I'll be very happy to see next year.

Thanks again.

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 6:58PM
georgia-rose

Stopped at a Lowes yesterday, to check their sale items, after reading about some fabulous deals mentioned on GW Forums.
None of their plants had been marked down or watered and were near dead in our 100°heat. There were no other customers and no employees, except a bored CO clerk, trying to keep cool.

They have a lot of nursery competition in this area and even the wholesale nurseries have cut prices and will do a bit of haggling, to unload their unsold stock.
I don't understand the local Lowes' sales philosophy, never have and probably never will!

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 3:00AM
joannemb

Mike,
I'm jealous! That looks like it is "White Out"---I've been trying to find it locally with no luck. Great price--wow!

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 8:10AM

Georgia-rose - You are right. I normally don't shop at Lowes for plants because they are usually dead, dried out and just plain not up to par. I went there to buy potting soil for cuttings and just wanted to take a look at the hydrangeas, (I had not intention of buying)so as I started poking through all the dead ones I found this little one with bright green leaves and huge bloom (albeit already green) so I thought I'd give it a try.

@Joannemb - you are correct. I just looked on the F & E website and after reading all the descriptions, I would have to agree with you!

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 1:41PM

So found another great deal - Home Depot had ES Twist and Shouts in 3 gallons marked from $19.98 to $10.00. I then was able to talk the sales girl down to $8.00 since it had dead blooms. I've transplanted to a nice pot and it's doing great. I guess this is the time to buy cheap plants. LOL.

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 9:48PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a(7b8a)

Darn. I went to both Lowes and Home Depot yesterday. Lowes had no hydrangeas and the ones at Home Depot had not been marked down. The clerk told me that Home Depot does not own the plants; a vendor owns them and he had been in yesterday bud did not mark them down.

I thought that was interesting. I did not know that the garden centers at the big box stores did business this way.

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 9:37AM

Weird I've never head of them doing business this way either. Maybe in your city that is how they do it? I'm sure they will start marking them down. I would keep checking with them to see when they do.

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 11:13AM
vivian_2010

A couple months ago, I bought a double knock out rose at lowes. It was marked down from original price to ~ 14.95, but at the check out, the clerk said that he will futher reduced it to $5 as it wilted from lack of water, and I did not even ask!. It has been doing great in my garden and flowers have been non-stop.

Not sure if this practice is universal though at all Lowes.

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 7:48PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a(7b8a)

I went to the Lowes at the next town over and to Home Depot - no markdowns. I guess I am just in the wrong part of DFW. Heck!!!

Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 10:27AM

LOL. I'm sorry. Not sure what part of town you are in. I went to the Lowes on Inwood and Forest and the HD located at 635 and MacArthur.

I was at HD on Macarthur last night and they still have them.

Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 11:31AM
More Discussions
How are those limelight hedges looking? (pic)
I know a lot of us were planting limelight hedges this...
joannemb
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
Zinfin Doll hydrangea
Hi, This is a new hydrangea or at least new to me....
Brooks23
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™