growing red bell peppers indoors

fenderman(Pacific NW)August 23, 2005

I have one single red bell pepper plant growing indoors in a single General Hydroponics Waterfarm. I just harvested my first red bell today! I was wondering if a red bell pepper plant just keeps producing and producing? How long might I expect it to live/produce? Also, do I need to cut back my hours of light for optimal production? I've got it under HPS light, for 18 hours a day. Would cutting back the hours replicate "autumn light" and increase production?

Thanks in Advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
frangeb(z10 So. Calif.)

Hi, Fenderman!

I have a single red bell pepper plant growing outdoors. It has the place of honor on my patio table - the only place on the patio that gets enough sun to grow much of anything that needs sun. My answer to your question, based on this one-in-a-row experience, is that you'll keep getting peppers as long as the plant continues to get new growth. I harvested three acceptably large red bells just about 1 1/2 weeks ago. There are presently 3 or 4 that could be harvested, one more just beyond the flowering stage that seems to be developing well, and a couple more buds, on new growth, that have yet to open. On the downside, those presently ready for harvesting are distinctly smaller that the first harvest. I don't have any ready answer for this. Lack of care on my part, perhaps, or something environmental, perhaps. I find that a lot of things in this game are "perhaps"

Bookmark   August 23, 2005 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Blooms dropping on Red Robin tomato in my Aerogarden, no new blooms.
I'm new to Hydroponics, I bought an Aerogarden a few...
wertach zone 7-B SC
New to hydroponics
I just found out about the idea of hydroponics after...
kesaber
Switchin on/off cycles and wheather it should be gradual?
Hello, I was recently asked if it effects the plant...
Jeremiah Landi
Online Hydroponics Management Program. PonicsPal!
I developed an online hydroponics management program...
PonicsPal
Starting plants from grocery store cuttings
This is something that I have been playing around with...
Kyle A
Sponsored Products
Hydrofarm Designer T5 System 4 Foot 8 Tube Fluorescent Grow Lights with Bulbs Mu
$189.50 | Hayneedle
Chimes of Your Life - Mother - Cross - Memorial Wind Chime - MO-CROSS-19-SILVER
$44.48 | Hayneedle
Martha Stewart Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Martha Stewart Living Rugs
$88.97 | Home Depot
Structures Wall Sconce by Kichler
$129.80 | Lumens
Large Rustic Wheelbarrow
Fifthroom.com
Diamond Motif Geo-Floral Red/Blue 8'x10' Mamluk Hand Knotted Wool Area Rug H6945
BH Sun Inc
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Soho Soft Lt. Blue/Ivory 3 ft.
Home Depot
Potted Harbor Lights Faux Plant
$729.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™