iris changing color

jill04April 24, 2014

I have several iris beds, good distance apart, all well tended and all filled with purple iris the size of salad plates. That is until this year when about 90% have bloomed yellow and dropped in size to a tea cup. I notice several comments that "iris do not change color". Really??? Then is there another explanation? Should I did these up--well over 200--and toss them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

The FAQ has several common reasons why a certain color overtakes. I have three extremely vigorous growers that try to do the same thing. A white I thought I had eradicated at least 5 years ago is in bloom!

Some vigorous growers can root from a piece of rhizome no bigger than the end of your little finger. Never the one you want!

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 4:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
littlebit_gw

If you dont like the yellow ones, then trace them down to the rhizome and make sure you get the right clump and dig them out and toss them.
I have a clump that I noticed this morning, one side is going to be white and the other is going to be a dark one. I replanted this bed 3 years ago and was really careful when replanting. Stuff happens..more than likely a small piece of something got left behind so I will let them bloom and see what is the right one and move the rest

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 5:20PM
More Discussions
Dividing irises
How often are irises supposed to be divided? I moved...
Carla1
Too many roots!
I had a spot in the yard and grass would not grow....
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
Planting Iris in March-April in Zone 7 ?
I have a lot of new Iris rhizomes to plant. Here in...
maximus2015
WANTED: Want any iris , daffodils tulips or lilies
If you are dividing your iris beds and have extra irises...
josephlee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™