How about pollination?

BurtinArizonaAugust 27, 2011

Just starting out...so if I grow indoors or in a greenhouse, what about pollination? Without bees or other pollinators, how do I get fruit? I understand some vegetable are "self pollinating", but doesn't that mean you only need one plant for pollination to take place, but still need the pollen transferred between blossoms? Am I gonna be out there all day "having sex" with my tomato plants??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homehydro

Pollen transfers through air currents (as anyone with allergies I bet has dealt with). Tomato plants are often pollinated by gently shaking the plant stalks. That shakes the pollen fall from the flowers, and thus travels to the others flowers through air currents. You can also use a oscillating fan to circulate air currents. Or there's always the old fashioned way, have sex with them yourself (hand pollinate).

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 9:58PM
grizzman

for tomatoes, buy a cheap electric toothbrush and just vibrate the back of the flowers for a second or two. it'll only take you a few minutes and, when I've done it several times over a week I had 100% fruiting.

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 8:18AM
jane_in_bristol(5)

Oh Goodness, Grizzman

I got a good laugh out of that, picturing oneself out there with a vibrating toothbrush! I'm sure it is effective, but I can't help but wonder if your 100% fruiting record is not only because of the pollen, but because your tomatoes were SO HAPPY with your attentions!

*grin*,
Jane

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 4:05PM
Dweomer

If you plan to use a toothbrush, vibrate the opposite side of the stem just below the flowers for a couple of seconds. That way you won't beat up your flowers. It works best if your temp and humidity are in the "comfortable zone" for people. Otherwise, the pollen doesn't release or stick properly and you get malformed tomatoes.

Bookmark   October 15, 2011 at 8:12PM
Dweomer

If you're growing tomatoes, you can use the same nutrient solution for european cucumbers. You can buy gynoecious seeds (all female flowers) that do not require any outside pollination. If you go this route, remember that cucumber plants need twice as much space and twice as much nutrient solution as a tomato plant.

Bookmark   October 15, 2011 at 8:20PM
More Discussions
PVC Tower System - Adding oxygen mid-stream
I have built my first hydro system from 4" PVC...
topher_cohen
What can I do to learn more about planting or farming????
Hi all! I'm a beginner at hydroponics gardening......
skttls
organic hydroponic ferilizer
I am looking for a good source for organic hydroponic...
little sur farm
Making the aquarium to hydroponic switch! Advice?
Hello, I have been an aquarium geek for quite some...
Paulywog0667
8 days into hydroponics- helpppp
Hi everyone, First time with hydroponics and first...
Odarka
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™