Why all of these ID's

penelope(Z6 KY)April 22, 2012

It is becoming a full-time job. But, a labor of love! I'm trying to establish a historic Iris Display Garden. If I keep at this - maybe I'll be ready in ten years!!

Some of these Iris belonged to my grandmother, some to my mother, some to friends that are no longer with us.

The newest bed that I put in last fall is mostly full of ones that DH dug up over 13 years ago from an old house that they were tearing down. As the shade increased, these stopped blooming and I have no ideal what is going to open tomorrow - What fun!!

The hardest part is that they are located in three different places, about 10 miles apart. Plus all of the ones that friends have in their yards that I need to see.

Sometime I will post pictures of the ones that I have a probable ID on, as well as the new bed.

Thanks to all of you who have helped and continue to offer your support.

Penny in western KY

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

That sounds like a fun project. Mr. Toad is doing something similar. His grandmother had an iris farm, and he inherited many of her irises, and recovered others from neighbors who had bought from her. He had her order forms from way back, so he had the names and just had to match them with the irises. Good luck with your project- it sounds like you will become an expert on historic irises.
Renee

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 1:24AM
More Discussions
Is this Immortality?
I already posted a question about this Iris (see 'Iris...
lydia1959
Looking for iris Frost and Flame
Hi, I m looking for the iris Frost and Flame by the...
gibsongirl74_gw
Herbicide recommendation for iris bed
Hello, I am usually solely a contributor in the vegetable...
hokiehorticulture
WANTED: Want any iris , daffodils tulips or lilies
If you are dividing your iris beds and have extra irises...
josephlee
Over wintering bearded Iris plants and Dutch Iris bulbs
I have recently purchased about 14 bearded Iris plants...
keegans31
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™