Pink Diamond Tree Hydrangea

tmdagoJuly 22, 2012

I planted a pink diamond tree hydrangea last summer. It has bloomed beautifully this summer but the limbs and blooms are limp and hanging down toward the ground. Is this normal? It doesn't look like pictures I've seen. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Sometimes the wieght of the blooms makes the stems flop but other times the plant is not getting enough moisture and it wilts in a manner similar as you describe. If the soil feels dry, I suggest watering more often in the summer months and making sure that the plant has 3-4" of mulch thru the drip line. If the soil is moist, you could prune the blooms if they are bending the stems a lot. They should get stronger in future years. Some support somtimes helps too.

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 7:14AM
jemboysch

My PD tree drooped severely in past years too. I think it is mostly from the weight of the blooms - especially after a lot of rain. This year I'm doing ok. Maybe because we've been fairly dry. Also could be because I removed at least half of the new growth in the early spring. Now the larger, more established branches are supporting less weighty new growth. And my blooms are quite large too. Next year I'm going to experiment more with a second pruning in mid-spring to keep the new growth a little shorter in some areas. I'd like to keep the canopy a little more symmetrical. We'll see how this works.

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 7:41PM
josht

I pruned my limelight tree down to the second leaf last year and it has come back beautiful. I just got a pink diamond tree the other day and it's a little floppy but I think a good prune in early spring and it will be looking good. I have never seen one in the box stores or even the nursery look great. If you prune it good the second year will be much better.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 10:54PM
More Discussions
Hydrangea buds are rotting or being eaten in the center!
Even though it was raining when I took this photo,...
katyashydrangea
Looking for hardy hydrangeas to plant.
Looking to plant a couple of hardy hydrangeas. Live...
abykatz22
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
Ericaceous compost for hydrangea
I have grown hydrangeas in containers since last summer....
jchad214
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
Sponsored Products
Poetry of Trees Giclee Print in Blue
Grandin Road
Central Park Ornament
$7.99 | zulily
Spring Blossom Wreath
Grandin Road
Yellow Frangipani Silk Flowers and Ceramic Vase
Overstock.com
River City Clocks M466-10 Woodchopper and Waterwheel Musical Cottage Cuckoo Cloc
$783.30 | Hayneedle
Giant Chocolate Cake
$110.00 | Horchow
Hand-tufted Transitional Abstract Pattern Blue Rug (5' x 7'6)
Overstock.com
46 in. Sansevieria in Square Tall Planter - 400910-S25W
$239.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™