A strange iris seedling

Ivan21(7b)April 29, 2013

Here is a picture of some iris seedlings I crossed last year, stratified in the fridge for a month and later planted in some soil mix. I have been spray watering them every 3 to 4 days.

As you can see one of them is completly white (lack of chlorophyl?). Currently the white one is beginning to sag a bit and I think it might not make it. Has anyone ever seen a simillar seedling?

The little plants are about 3 inches high at the moment, are they ready to transplant outside? Should I cut the longer leaves down a bit because they are very unstable due to fast growth indoors?

Thank you for any helpful answers.

Ivan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chadinlg

yes I have had a few of those also. They don't live too long.

The earlier you can plant out your seedlings the better chance you have of getting them to bloom next Spring. 3 inches tall is plenty big enough, just be sure to protect from snails etc.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:22PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Don't cut the leaves. They're manufacturing food for the rhizome.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:07PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Chad, can the floppy leaves be due to frequent watering?

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:12PM
chadinlg

Looks like the seedlings are inside, so I'd go with not enough light - coming from the side - and making them lean.
I guess your comment on cutting the leaves refers to the usual practice of trimming fans before transplanting, yes this only needs to be done if the rhizomes have been removed from the soil and have lost roots in the process.

When I separate seedlings which have grown together ( I use 1 gallon pots or 4" pots) I put the whole mass into a water bath to make it easier to separate the roots. Then the seedlings are planted out immediately and shaded if the weather is really hot... That's another reason to move them out in the Spring.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
Consequences of transplanting in winter/early spring, zone 5
Hello, I have a question about transplanting irises....
kmburton
Herbicide recommendation for iris bed
Hello, I am usually solely a contributor in the vegetable...
hokiehorticulture
Maybe Triple Your Pleasure?
I was so pleased by the ample rebloom I got from Double...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
Question about Bearded Irises
I planted two Jurassic Park bearded irises two years...
GrammaFluff
Over wintering bearded Iris plants and Dutch Iris bulbs
I have recently purchased about 14 bearded Iris plants...
keegans31
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™