Yellow Louisiana iris?

bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)April 25, 2013

Several years ago a local nursery gave me a box of untagged rhizomes they believed were Louisiana irises. Most turned out to be Yellow Flag. However, these were different and were placed in an east facing bed where they thrived, but never flowered until this year. Does anyone recognize this flower? TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

Uhhh..... maybe I have things backwards. After a bit of rechecking, I suspect the first photo is actually Yellow Flag, which is different from the other yellow irises in the lot. So, am wondering if the other ones are a variant of i. pseudacorus or something else. The following photo shows the original on the left and the ones in question on the right.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 6:19PM
Nancy zone 6

I would say your first picture is the yellow flag iris. The one on the right & in the background is a tall bearded iris, a historical variety, but I don't know the exact name.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 7:39PM
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

Thanks! Alice Harding, perhaps?

Here is a link that might be useful: TB Alice Harding

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 12:39PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I think the hafts are too golden for Alice Harding. The veining is very clear on your iris.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 12:55AM
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

hosenemesis: I know next to nothing about irises, but from the little gleaned on iris history, does seems an award winner from the 1930s would more likely be a pure yellow since pronounced veining was usually considered a negative attribute. Is that right? However, an image search for "Alice Harding iris" turns up examples with and without the pronounced veining.

After looking up the image posted by the Plainfield Garden Club on their Alice Harding page (she was a member), seems the veining is appropriate. The club website hosts the detail pages on a different domain, so is a bit weird to navigate - can get to her page under History/Notable Members.

Here are a couple example images: AH iris photo at Plainview Garden Club and
AH iris at UK vendor.

Edit: Attached a better photo of our yellow TB. Does seem the veining may run too far down the fall for Alice Harding.

Here is a link that might be useful: PGC Notable Member History - scroll to Alice Harding link

This post was edited by bostedo on Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 21:37

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
Is this Immortality?
I already posted a question about this Iris (see 'Iris...
lydia1959
Help identifying two irises.
I took these photos in Siena, Italy and I would like...
bill_ri_z6b
Dried out Rhizomes - Iris
I have a few Iris that are dried out from storing them...
pinkkpearls
Bottle Rocket
Pretty Tall Bearded from last years bloom, Crossed...
criris_z8
WANTED: Want any iris , daffodils tulips or lilies
If you are dividing your iris beds and have extra irises...
josephlee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™