early spring transplanting: best plan?
I was just offered a big clump of bearded iris for the taking, and am about to pick it up (I'm not waiting for someone to beat me to it!), and wonder what the best plan is for them. I'm in VT so we probably have winter weather left, but I can:
1. put them in the ground outside, keeping the clump intact; separate and move them to a permanent home later;
2. separate them now and put them in permanent home;
3. rinse, dry and store in sawdust in the house until last frost is past;
4. other? I don't even know what that would be.
I'm inclined to do option 1, but would love advice from people with more experience. I don't care if they bloom this year - just want them to have a fighting chance. Thanks!