What groundcover can I use to replicate the scene in this image?

rinomanfroni(7)October 6, 2011

Hello you all!

I live in Dallas TX, and I am planning to build a Japanese garden in the back yard. I already planted my Bambusa Multiplex "Alphonse Karr" by the back fence, and now I am planning on completing the garden with lots of rocks, big mounds of dirt, and gravel. Plus a little artificial river that will end into a koi pond.

This is the problem, however. I would like to recreate the effect of these dirt mounds covered with those ground covers as it is showed in this picture I found on the internet. I would like to recreate this here in TEXAS, and I know it is going to be a challenge.

Can you suggest a plant that would thrive in full sun (because this ground cover will be facing the South of the garden), that will also withstand the "exceptional drought" that Texas has been going through lately? I will obviously water the garden with a sprinkler system.

Other plants that are going to be part of the garden (that I already ordered) are the following:

3 plants of Sequoiadendron giganteum ' Pendulum '

1 plant of Weeping Cherry Snow Fountain Prunus x 'Snofozam'

3 plants of Weeping Cherry Tree Prunus subhirtella 'Pendula'

1 plant of Thuja occidentalis 'Woodwardii'

1 plant of Ann Magnolia Tree

1 plant of Cinnamon Fern

1 plant of Chinese Lantern Plant

1 plant of Hydrangea, Glowing Embers

1 plant of Hydrangea, Freedom

I need a groundcover!

Rino.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mosswitch

That looks like some kind of clipped evergreen, maybe boxwood. High maintainence!

You might be able to get some kind of similar effect with thyme, or some kind of sedum, tho they wouldn't be evergreen. I've seen thyme used in several public Japanese gardens, tho not to that effect.

You could try a groundcover juniper of some sort, that would grow in the sun and not need clipped. Moss would work, if you get the sun-loving kind.

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 5:37PM
paulah-gardener(6)

That is so lovely. I would check with a texas extension service,they might be able to help. Or go on line to search heat tolerant mosses or other ground covers. Paula

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 8:29AM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

Will Japanese Holly, Illex crenata, 'Convexa' grow where you live? It needs summer water to do well. I takes to shearing better than Boxwood in my experience.
Here's some in my Zone 8 garden near Seattle.
Mike

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 8:55AM
mosswitch

Oh pooh. Show off! LOL! I love it! Did you use a form for shape or is it all free hand? How long did it take to get to that size and how often do you clip it? Truly a work of art!

Sandy

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 1:04PM
paulah-gardener(6)

Maby post this on the moss forum If anyone could help it would be them. Also a ground cover forum. Good luck. Paula

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 9:29AM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

The 'Groundcover' in the picture is probably Azaleas. In Japanese gardens they are usually clipped like Boxwood for shape.
The Crocagator was started from cuttings three inches long.
I grew them in a bed until about a foot tall. I then dug a ditch in a lizard shape and planted the Japanese Holly. No frame. About thirty plants and I trim it three times a year in the summer with an electric trimmer.
I should have made it longer. It grows wider, but not longer, so it appears it's getting fatter and fatter all the time. It's about 25 years old.
Did you read the caption?
Mike

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 6:32AM
jolj(7b/8a)

It is great!! You are way ahead of any thing I have done in forming a plant/plants into a animal shape.

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 11:56PM
rinomanfroni(7)

I have found this groundcover online that might work really well! It is called "Delosperma nubiginum" and it looks like little cute grass that even blooms in late Spring! I just need to find somebody who sells these babies by the flat and in large quantities!

Bookmark   December 5, 2011 at 12:26AM
MrMiagi48386(z4 usa mich)

rinomanfroni ..... for excellent advise on J.Gardens in Texas, go to http://japanesegardening.org/talk/index.php
The mod/owner of the site, Don is from Texas and would give you excellent advice.
The ground cover that your pic shows i'm sure are azaleas
as stated by another member. I may be wrong, but they won't survive in your area and drought a sure death nell.

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 9:25AM
More Discussions
my little piece of japan (2)
what do you think ???
elramonegouda
Do deer damage rhododendrons in Puget Sound?
Has anyone ever experienced deer damage to rhododendrons...
Giacamo
Mini Zen Garden inspired display
Saludos desde Puerto Rico! I plan to make a 3 level,...
Bryan_Boricua
Need help choosing plants in JG style
Hi, I need help of the folks with experiences in Japanese...
green_go
thread or sites with weeping maples in the landscape
Hi folks! I've been searching google images for landscape...
Bama_Joe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™