Getting started with hydroponics

olddaddy(zone 9 Florida)August 7, 2012

I've been reading this forum, and others to learn a bit about hydroponics. I am interested in a simple system that I can make up myself instead of purchasing a high dollar setup. I like the PVC tubes and also thinking of 3 or 5 gallon buckets. I've got tons of room outdoors to work in. I'd like to talk with other folks locally, we are near Haines City. Plan to start out with a couple vegetables and see where we end up.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TheMasterGardener1(5B)

By far the easiest form of hydroponics is a simple soilless drain to waste system. Just get some pots, a irragtion system (55 gal drum with feeder lines), some grow media like promix HP, and fertilizer and you are ready to grow. Maybe a ph meter to get your ph down to 6 after nutrients are added.

This form of hydroponics is the easiest, but does not save as much water/fertilizer as other systems would, but it saves way more then soil grown does.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 9:51PM
grizzman

hey olddaddy. Welcome to the forum.
You may find this guy's page helpful. dig around a bit; construction instructions are there.
He doesn't post here anymore, but I believe he was growing in florida as well.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 12:00PM
fintuckyfarms

Hi, welcome to the world of hydroponics. You will probably get lots of input as everybody has their own ideas on what is best. Just remember the most important thing about hydroponics is keeping the nutrient solution at a temperature that will not damage the plants (below 80ish and above 65ish). You are able to keeps plants outdoors longer than traditional gardening if you can control the nute temp by burying it or adding a cooler or heater.
Each system has it's strengths and weakness' so YOU have to do your homework on what works best for you i.e. $$$, location, space, type of vegis grown, time you have to spend etc.
That said, I have utilized several different kinds of systems. I have had both NTF and flood and drain in a 4 and 6 inch tube. I have grown pumpkins in a 16 gal rubermaid tote utilizing a bubbler system (DWC).I have a drip system in a 5 gal water bottle. My favorite system so far is a flood and drain in half of a 55 gal barell sort of like the barellponics. Hope this helps, good luck!

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 12:25AM
More Discussions
Switchin on/off cycles and wheather it should be gradual?
Hello, I was recently asked if it effects the plant...
Jeremiah Landi
Hydroponic Strawberry's not doing so hot.
I have some hydroponic Strawberry's they are looking...
bigmuddyfoot
New to Hydrophonics
Hello all ,Im new to the Hydro thing. Im going to start...
fespo
Starting plants from grocery store cuttings
This is something that I have been playing around with...
Kyle A
Need Aeroflo 36 in CA!
Looking for a lightly used aeroflo 36 in CA or willing...
nedgecomb
Sponsored Products
Tannery Bronze w/ Gold Accent Mini Pendant 1
PLFixtures
7'x10' Black Lori Buft Gabbeh Hand Knotted 100% Wool Oriental Rug Sh18845
1800 Get A Rug
Serena & Lily Brasserie Bar & Counter Stools
Serena & Lily
Designers Fountain Eco-Gem LED6318 Mini Pendant - Satin Platinum - LED6318-FS-SP
$119.50 | Hayneedle
Stacy Garcia Pearl Leaf Peacock Paley Black Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
4'x6' Hand Knotted Navy Afghan Ersari Oriental Rug 100 Percent Wool Sh19610
1800 Get A Rug
Desert Steel Blue Agave Torch - 451-010VT
$210.97 | Hayneedle
Lime Five-Piece Canning Set
$11.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™