In Your Experience.....

alisonnApril 9, 2014

I have two choices for both bearded and siberian iris: Either morning sun, afternoon shade or morning shade and afternoon sun. Which, in your experience, is probably the better site?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I'd go for the morning sun. When they need dividing in a few years you could do an experiment :-) and place some in the other location.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 7:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

the word shade means little ... s there is no real way for us to interpret it in your yard ...

since they are heavy bloomers.. they need all the direct sun they can get ...

what your words do not define... is the number hours of sun.. in any given location ...

i would try to count the actual hours of sun in both locations.. and favor the higher hours .. also taking into account.. that dawn sun itself.. is rather weak ... as is late evening ...

lack of sun.. will rarely kill a green plant... but what it does impact... is its ability to flower in profusion ...

lol.. what i would actually do.. is divide what you have.. if possible.. and plant them in both locations ... thats really.. the only way for you to know.. how it all works out in your little micro climate of sun/shade ...

ken

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 9:20AM
More Discussions
Transplant and blooming
Hello to you all! I might as well preface this by saying...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Over wintering bearded Iris plants and Dutch Iris bulbs
I have recently purchased about 14 bearded Iris plants...
keegans31
Dried out Rhizomes - Iris
I have a few Iris that are dried out from storing them...
pinkkpearls
Bottle Rocket
Pretty Tall Bearded from last years bloom, Crossed...
criris_z8
Do you mulch Iris Bed for winter?
I replanted all my iris after the beard iris borer...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™