I divided my irises. Now what?

bbfan10(5)April 26, 2011

My parents don't divide their irises, let alone their plants in general... Our Siberian irises really needed to be divided because the center was dying and there were few blooms last year. I divided them today and was really flustered. About half the plant broke into divisions of one or two fans/plantlings, so I bunched those guys up when I put them back in the ground. The other half of the plant had better divisions of more like seven or eight fans/plantlings. Will they all still bloom this year? even the little misfits?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
madeyna(7/8)

I don,t know about siberian iris because this will be my first year with any( I got them last fall) but with other iris each rhizome makes a bloom so thats how they are divided you seperate the rhizome and give each room to multiply. The large rhizome in the center probly won,t bloom again so when the clump becomes crowded that one is usually removed to make more room for the rhysomes it produced.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 4:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

Siberians often take a year or two (or three) to reestablish and start blooming after being divided. They will live, that isn't in question, but don't expect much from them this year.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 4:19PM
More Discussions
Dutch Iris
Can Dutch Iris be planted in the Spring ? or are they...
maximus2015
Homeless US Navy Veteran w. Iris seed to trade
Hello, I currently live at the Homeless Veterans Emergency...
BearState
Dried out Rhizomes - Iris
I have a few Iris that are dried out from storing them...
pinkkpearls
Louisiana Iris care Houston Texas
Hi! I was wondering if my Louisiana Iris can be cut...
luvpatch2
First Pseudata
This is the first pseudata (I. pseudacorus X I. ensata)...
eroctuse2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™