Could this be HVX?

landlady(USDA 8 or 9)June 17, 2012

I wonder if any of you think I should be worried about this Remember Me that I got from Bluestone Perennials last week. I am still new enough to Hostas that I didn't think to ask them about testing for HVX. I have, however, sent them the same picture I am uploading here, but I will get a quicker response from you than from emailing them.

Let me know if you need another better picture.

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ogrefcf(5-6 UT)

Nope. Weather or some other related damage.

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 10:43AM
Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.

I'm with Owen, weather, roots, insect?

Pieter

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 10:48AM
landlady(USDA 8 or 9)

Oh thank you both !!!

I can deal with damage (heck I host a world class population of brown snails here), but I hate it when I am not vigilant (as in not asking about HVX testing).

Susan

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 10:52AM
thisismelissa(z4a-S Twin Cities MN)

You may want to spend some time familiarizing yourself with what HVX looks like. Ink Bleed and Tissue Collapse are the 2 main symptoms. This is neither.

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 2:30PM
landlady(USDA 8 or 9)

Good idea, Melissa, although I would much prefer not to see the real thing. I guess I wasn't sure whether the thinness of that damaged part of the leaf could be considered "tissue collapse". Guess not. I'm glad.

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 2:39PM
kalija(6 WNY)

I recently ordered from Bluestone. On their website they say their hosta are from sources who verify they are free from hvx. Hopefully they are safe!

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 8:40PM
janbp(z6OH)

Bluestone here: Wow, you guys are fast! That is not Virus X - it is most likely some frost damage from a late frost we had here. Although we have never seen Virus X here, as a pro-active precaution we have stopped propagating our own Hosta, and instead purchase starts from tested-virus-X-free sources.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 10:56AM
Eleven(Metro Detroit 6A)

It's good to hear about Bluestone's steps against HVX. I ordered 10 hostas from them in 2009 when I was just getting into hostas. So far, they all look disease free, unlike a couple I got elsewhere. I haven't been disappointed except for the known slow growers (Big Daddy, anyone?) and August Moon that turned into a noid with a green margin.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 11:16AM
landlady(USDA 8 or 9)

Bluestone is totally off the hook. It was my ignorance of what HVX might/could look like that caused me to post my query here. As soon as I was assured that the damage to the leaf in question was not HVX, I emailed Bluestone a second time and assured them that I was NOT worried about the plant.

Now I am doubly reassured and am glad to know about their policies, which I am sure I should have known already....but simply didn't.

I will order from them again....and with confidence.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 11:47AM
More Discussions
halcyon vs bl wedgwood smackdown
did it work? halcyon blue wedgwood H as the typical...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
New arrivals
It dawned mild and sunny here in Wales today. The postman...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
houzz search
We can no longer search under specific forums? Forgive...
smorz
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Hosta Tiara 2014
Question: There is an ancient invention still used...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™