Mystery Iris disease

verdant_ladyApril 15, 2010

Hello.

I seem to have a problem with my heirloom irises. I don't know if it is a virus or what, but it affects only the flowers, making them small with no area to the petals. The leaves and rhizomes are fine. I've never seen anything like it. All blooms on a fan are this way and so far it has appeared in two different varieties. It isn't widespread. So far I have only three affected plants, but these are widely separated and I am very concerned. Has anyone got a clue as to what this might be and how I might combat it?

Here is a link to a photo:

http://asthegardengrows.com/page4.html

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Verdant

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris disease?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

The link takes me to a listing of links. No picture.

From what you describe is sounds like RoundUp. Maybe some drifted from being sprayed elsewhere. If that is the cause they will fine next year as long as no more RoundUp is used in the vicinity.

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 8:57PM
verdant_lady

This photobucket link may work better.

Interesting that it might be RoundUp. I do use it carefully and sparingly to edge my beds. However, one affected plant is in the middle of the clump nowhere near an edge. Still, anything is possible.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 9:41PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

That looks like round-up to me. It's amazing how little it takes to affect an iris.
Renee

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 11:13PM
littlebit_gw

I agree. Round up damage...I know that look really well. You will be glad to know that if the plant blooms next year, it will be completely normal.
Two years ago I had a farmer hit my iris bed, our garden and several other areas in my yard. Wind was blowing in our direction when he spayed his field. It was horrible, my blooms that year was really sad. Last year I didn't get much bloom out of that bed.
But this year, WOW it has so many bloom-stalks already. and the best part if the farmer PLOWED this year instead of using harmful chemicals!!!

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 9:10AM
More Discussions
Dutch Iris
Can Dutch Iris be planted in the Spring ? or are they...
maximus2015
Irises
I live in Virginia and was told I need to cut back...
maxymom
Homeless US Navy Veteran w. Iris seed to trade
Hello, I currently live at the Homeless Veterans Emergency...
BearState
Over wintering bearded Iris plants and Dutch Iris bulbs
I have recently purchased about 14 bearded Iris plants...
keegans31
Bottle Rocket
Pretty Tall Bearded from last years bloom, Crossed...
criris_z8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™