Climbing Hydrangea Wilting

Gervasi2806July 9, 2013

I have two climbing hydrangeas planted on either side of the front door of a north-facing house. They have been healthy for 5-6 years. Suddenly, this morning I noticed about a quarter of the leaves on one hydrangea were wilting. This afternoon, they were all wilting. Other hydrangeas, which usually signal need for water before any other plant, are not wilting. No evidence of spots or powdery mildew. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.

Sounds like something is going on in the root or stems.... First thing I would do is look for a borer that may have attacked the vine or any other mechanical damage to the stems below the wilted leaves......

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 9:32PM
calistoga_al

Dig down around the plant, if all the foliage is wilting there is a problem with the roots, maybe you have a gopher! Unless of course a weed whacker took out the stem. Al

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 10:05AM
luis_pr

After 5-6 years of growth, it may just need more water than before and you may need to water a larger area.

If you find no problems (gopher's, borers', etc), just give it more water. Its root system is more extensive than a regular hydrangea's so you need to water areas away from the vicinity of the plant too.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 3:39PM
More Discussions
What Hydrangea to grow in full sun
Hi, I'm a total newbie to gardening. I want to plant...
Kachana
galls in dirt where to plant
Hi, Last summer I dug up a rose that had not been doing...
Brooks23
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
nonconformist_nymphette
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™