New Annabelle, wilting

katsmeow624July 1, 2011

I just planted an Annabelle Hydrangea bush yesterday and it's already wilting and looking sad today :( It was very hot today, almost 100, but the plant is in a shaded spot under a locust tree, facing south, with scattered sun throughout the afternoon. I watered it after planting yesterday and again today. Not sure what to do...I'm new to gardening and would love any advice or tips! Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Hello, katsmeow624. Newly planted hydrangeas suffer from transplant shock and, until they become established in your garden, you will see these frequent wilting episodes during the worst of the summer season. As they get older, they have less episodes. The good news is that, as long as the soil is moist, they will recover on their own by next morning (but usually by night fall).

The best approach to follow is to continue your watering regimen but monitor them in the afternoons. If the wilting episode seems extreme, immediately water (1/2 gallon of water) from the root ball outwards. Otherwise, insert a finger into the soil and see if it feels dry or almost dry. If it does, add 1/2 gallon of water. If it feels moist or wet, do not water but check it again in the morning. If it still remains wilted in the morning, add 1/2 gallon of water. Do not count these emergency waterings as part of your watering regimen but as extra/free ones for the shrub.

To minimize the frequency of these wilting episodes, make sure that the shrub has 3-4" of mulch up to the drip line. Add 1 gallon of water during each of your waterings.

You can use the finger method to help decide when to water and how often to water. Use it daily for about two weeks, always early in the morning. Each time that you water, make a note in a wall calendar. At the end of the two weeks, review the information on the calendar and determine -on average- how often you had to water. Every 2 days? Every 3 days? etc Then set the sprinkler to release 1 gallon of water early in the mornings on the same frequency. If your temperatures change 10-15 degrees and stay there then retest using the finger method for two weeks again.

Luis

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 11:26PM
More Discussions
Container size for hydrangea
I have a landscape plan made for my yard by a pro who...
cakbu
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™