Yellow jacket nest under hydrangea

stillwelljill(7)July 29, 2014

I have unavoidably been away from home a lot during spring and summer this year. Trying to catch up on all my weeding today, I was stung several times. Apparently the neighbor's dog has been digging in one of my hydrangea beds and badly loosened a two year old white swan hydrangea in the ground where it was planted. Now there is a yellow jacket nest under this area, and they are entering the ground in several places around the partially exposed base of the hydrangea. I am not sure how to kill the wasps. Any suggestions????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Check the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to kill a y/j nest

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 10:57PM
hcmcdole(z7)

The easiest way to kill them is with wasp and hornet spray. Like the link said wait until they've settled down for the night or early morning before they get active. I would locate the entrance to their hive by scouting out the area before they settle in. Stand back 15 feet or so and aim the spray into the entrance. They will start coming out but as the spray hits them they will drop like flies. Continue spraying until no more come out. Another way to do it is pour gasoline down their entrance (I don't like this method but I've seen it done).

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 6:29AM
stillwelljill(7)

Thanks for your suggestions. As I mentioned the yellow jackets are entering in areas all around the very loose base of the hydrangea in the ground, so there are more than one or two entrances.
I think the gas idea might kill the very precious White Swan hydrangea but the soapy water might be worth a try. If that doesn't work, I will try the wasp and hornet spray. Thanks again.

This post was edited by stillwelljill on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 7:42

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 12:50PM
Allen456(8)

Don't try soapy water, and for the love of all things good, don't use gasoline!

You can try the wasp spray, but I've found it hard to get to the queen with the spray. Sevin dust applied liberally after dusk has been most effective for me.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 12:54PM
hcmcdole(z7)

It sounds like you may have more than one nest then if you see more than one entrance (entirely possible - I've seen that when the guy poured gasoline down each entrance).

Wasp and hornet spray is very effective - I've killed many nests using this method. Never seen any more activity after a couple minutes of a steady stream into the entrance.

Yeah, don't use soapy water - that might just agitate them enough for them to find the user at the end of the sprayer.

Hmm, never thought of Sevin dust for yellow jackets. Does it kill them overnight or over a few days? Used it for fire ants...

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 1:53PM
stillwelljill(7)

Luis, Thanks so much for the link you suggested. I tried dishwashing detergent and then lots of high pressure water and the tons and tons of yellow jackets are dead or gone and hopefully the sweet little White Swan hydrangea is going to be fine. I really didn't want to use any chemicals down into the roots of the hydrangea so chose the soap and water first. Everything seems to be fine now. Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I really appreciate it!

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
Zinfin Doll hydrangea
Hi, This is a new hydrangea or at least new to me....
Brooks23
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™