Recommend a hydrangea?

anele_gwJuly 28, 2010

I am a complete novice gardener but quickly fell in love, love, love with hydrangeas. (Even my 3 y.o. will point them out on walks.)

I am looking for one or two for a small bed. I would prefer one that is about 4-5 feet as a foundation shrub. The area gets sun from the east. My ideal would be something with some winter interest. . .but if I had to pick winter interest vs. repeat blooms, I'd go with the repeat blooms.

Right now I have a Blushing Bride and ES in the spot and I love them. First year in the ground (2 gallon when I bought them this yr) and they are rewarding me with huge blooms. However, in this area, it seems that they just don't get tall enough.

I'm thinking of Limelight, but am open to suggestions! I know LL gets big, but I read here that the growth charts are for 10 years' worth . . .I don't even know if I'll live in this house that long!

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anele_gw

Me again! I am also thinking about Snow Queen. Thoughts?

Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 10:09PM
wild_belief(7b)

Hello anele- it's great to have another new convert! As far as winter interest goes, unfortunately hydrangeas don't have much to offer, as almost all of them go dormant during the cold months. I would typically recommend Hyd. arborescens (like 'Annabelle') or Hyd. paniculata (like 'Limelight') to my customers in zone 5; or rebloomers like your ES and Blushing Bride. Snow Queen could be a bit of a challenge in zone 5, though it could certainly be done with some winter coverage for the first couple of years, but I think it would want near full sun.

You might take a look at one of the dwarf peegees like 'Little Lamb', which will stay smaller than 'Limelight'. You could also try Annabelle or another arborsecens, if you don't have any yet- they are truly gorgeous, tough shrubs- and would be happy with less light than the paniculatas. As far as regular old mopheads, stick to the rebloomers, unless you've got a really protected spot. They are all fairly similar, though, and many of them would look and act just like your 'Endless Summer'.

Hopefully this will help some, though- good luck!

Bookmark   July 29, 2010 at 1:02AM
anele_gw

Thank you, wild! As a novice I go solely by the zone recommendations I find, but most places don't go into detail regarding winter protection. (And I know I won't do that!)

Little Lamb is on my list of possibilities . . .any idea how long it would take to get to at least 4 ft in my zone (5)?

What about Vanilla Strawberry? Would that work?

Bookmark   July 29, 2010 at 1:33AM
anele_gw

Thanks, unique! I was not even familiar with Tardiva until I just looked it up now . . .Dharuma sounds great except I want something closer to 4-5 ft, so not sure it would work.

Good to hear about Little Lambs . . .definitely on the list!

Bookmark   July 31, 2010 at 11:59PM
More Discussions
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
Looking for hardy hydrangeas to plant.
Looking to plant a couple of hardy hydrangeas. Live...
abykatz22
New addition
New hydrangea I just picked up at Lowes
emrogers
Pruning Hydrangeas
Should I prune my hydrangeas this spring?
kgibbs25
Sponsored Products
MonoRail Rigid 4" Antique Bronze Standoff
Euro Style Lighting
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
63" Double trough Bathroom Black Granite Stone Sink - FOLEGE SHADOW
Living'ROC
Suzani Tile Lavender Area Rug - 5' x 8'
Grandin Road
Polka Dot Pink Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
Traditional Thermostatic Shower System with Grand Riser & Tub Spout
Hudson Reed
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™