Shorter Bearded Iris You Would Recommend

jmcbackyarddigger(z6b So IL)April 23, 2014

Okay. I love the tall ones, but I'd just as soon plant shorter bearded iris that don't require staking.

So......I'm looking for some great bearded iris that are a bit shorter in stature: 15" to 30" (approximately).

Any suggestions? I'd like to order about a half a dozen or so for this summer's planting season.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Of the SDB I loved 'Pippi Longstockings' for the excel colors (pale lemon yellow and burgundy-purple ?) as well as 'Chanted' for its smokey pinky shade and nifty interior shades in mauve. etc. Too hard to describe. Subtle.

Among IBs (less than 27") 'Candy Rock' is a neon knockout. 'Delirium' and 'Devil May Care' won the top IB award (Sass Medal). 'Rare Edition' is a reliable white/purple plicata.

"Cranapple' (BB) won the top medal.

Many, many others. What colors do you want? BlueJ Iris has a "Median-IB SDB BB" entry on this catalog page.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.bluejiris.com/A.htm

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 1:37AM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

Double Your Fun is about 24" here. Its my only bearded iris so I can't compare it to any other.

It grows great, had thick, attractive foliage and repeated in the first year.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 1:31PM
littlebit_gw

Double your Fun is an Intermediate Bearded. Since you are looking for shorter irises, look at the Border Bearded and the Intermediate Bearded. They still have the tall bearded look but are shorter.and they usually bloom before the TBs so it helps extend the bloom cycle

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 5:26PM
brettttt(5b)

I'd also add that plenty (in fact, I'd say most) TBs don't require staking, at least under normal conditions. Of course, weather is so rarely "normal." Anyway, since TBs have such a great height range (27.5 - 48+ inches), you'll also be able to find lots of TBs that are on the shorter end of that spectrum. A couple that I have that come immediately to mind are Plum Poodle and Glitter Repink, both from the good folks at Blue J. (Not an endorsement; just the ones that came to mind.)

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 12:33PM
illinoisdoglover(z5IL)

Harryshoe: Just love that Double Your Fun, it is a MUST HAVE to go on my list for this year.

jmcbackyarddigger: There are soooo many iris, impossible to even start to list. I favor the SDBs and the IB, is nice not to have to stake them. Here are just a few that I love. Just depends upon the color combination you are trying to achieve. Love the Maid Of Orange. Having trouble downloading multiple pictures.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 3:19PM
illinoisdoglover(z5IL)

harryshoe: I went to your page and do not see an email, please email me at flowersbytheriver2@comcast.net Thank you

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 10:31AM
jmcbackyarddigger(z6b So IL)

Thanks, everyone. Keep this info coming.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 7:32PM
aseedisapromise

I have Cheers, Dublin, Ask Alma, Stargazer. Here are Cheers and Dublin

Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 9:45AM
aseedisapromise

And here is Ask Alma

Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 9:48AM
bloombuddie

Here are some pictures of my favorite Miniature Tall Bearded Iris you might like. Ann

Little Bay Denoc MTB

Maslon MTB with Dividing Line MTB

Ozark Maid MTB

San Sousi MTB

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 9:59PM
OldDutch(4)

Sans Souci (or Honorabile - probably the same thing) dependable for something like 170 years. Shorter and never needed staking that I ever heard of and adapted to just about everywhere. Pretty good track record that.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 12:17PM
flowergirl70ks

Rain Dance, AZ AP, Silent Strings, all blue. Rare edition, Dark Rings, Plics. Pink Kitten, Turtle Dove, SBD, Starwoman, Int.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 9:50AM
davids10 z7a nv.

fantasy six inches

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 1:15AM
lezro(6b-7)

I have grow Western Sage, which is lavender and really pretty, for years. It gets big (width-wise) fast; the major problem is giving it away! It is an IB, available at Blue J (or from me, LOL!)

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 8:27PM
val1(z4 UT)

Lezro - I love your Western Sage. If your are interested in a trade, I would love to trade for some. Email me if you are interested and I will see what I have that you might want in return.

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 5:16PM
More Discussions
Irises
I live in Virginia and was told I need to cut back...
maxymom
help with my bearded irises
About 2 years ago I moved. Not wanting to leave my...
badjar
Help identifying two irises.
I took these photos in Siena, Italy and I would like...
bill_ri_z6b
Homeless US Navy Veteran w. Iris seed to trade
Hello, I currently live at the Homeless Veterans Emergency...
BearState
Moving iris
I have a large bed of Iris that I inherited. I have...
Beth1234
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™