Nude Hydrangeas

zeegedeerJuly 26, 2011

I have a fairly young 'Annabelle' hydrangea in my front yard. Today, I noticed with much astonishment that practically all of the leaves on the plant had disappeared. The very few that remained were browning at the edges and slightly wilted. The reason why I hadn't noticed this earlier was because the plant still has very large, healthy looking blooms and from far away the leaves (or lack thereof) are hard to notice up against the foliage of other plants. It's essentially long, bare stems with flowers at the end. I have also noticed that the stems have become significantly more "woodier" with the outer layer of bark rather brittle. About two meters away is another hydrangea plant that is doing wonderfully which leads me to suspect some kind of disease or pest. Also - we have had a recent spell of extreme heat (the other hydrangea was unaffected). What could be the issue?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

A mystery. Where did the leaves go?

If it was disease (bacterial, fungal, etc) or heat stress, you *probably* would have found the leaves in a pile under the shrub or nearby. Since you did not mention finding the leaves and just found the bare stems, I would first suspect a pest of some sort (deer, etc) ate them. It can be "normal" to find one plant affected besides an untouched one. If you can somehow rule that out then consider next disease (root rot, etc) or heat stress.

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 1:02AM
More Discussions
Zinfin Doll hydrangea
Hi, This is a new hydrangea or at least new to me....
Brooks23
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
Annabelle hydrangea
Well, it's approaching January & I'm thinking spring....
Sally6340
galls in dirt where to plant
Hi, Last summer I dug up a rose that had not been doing...
Brooks23
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™