Blue lacecap suggestion

bhomisJuly 8, 2011

Hi. Which variety of blue lacecap flowers hold their blue coloring latest in the season?

Thanks,

Bruce

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

That is a tough question because of the process that is involved.

The true flowers in the center of the lacecap blooms can be pollinated and this will make them change color and produce seed pods. At the time this happens, the sterile sepals that surround the center's true flowers will rotate and change color.

So we could both have the same type of lacecap hydrangea. Yours might be able to hold the color longer than mine if pollination in your shrub occurs later.

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 11:37PM
ditas

Luis is right ~ Mother Nature rules! There are many factors that have to be considered (zone, sun-exposure the shrubs' basic habit of budding & flashtime etc) I have several H serratas that I have been observing closely ~ particularly, time between bud to flash, color convertibility & changes.

Blue Frost ~ I must have planted in an ideal site (in AM sun/bright shade) is my earliest budder(end-Apr to mid-May) bloomer (early-Jun to mid-jun) & most floriferous as I noted since planting in '08. Today the center has fuzzed up & starting to dust around. In a few weeks the infertile petals will start the characteristic, rotation slowly as well as turn to the pink & by fall into merlot (including foliage). From observation, also throws a few blue caboose late in season.

You should check out Blue Billow, Blue Bird & Blue Deckle (My Twist & Shouts are starting to show up blue on the new blooms produced after I have clipped all of the nursery produced ones).

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 1:29PM
bhomis

I never thought of it that way, but it makes sense. Is there like an "in general" choice though? I'm in zone 7 (Long Island).

Blue Wave is impressive online, but I'm having trouble finding one locally for sale.

Bruce

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 8:19PM
pointgarden

Midnight dutchess is a great lacecap with black or eggplant stems on the new growth, it's not blue more of a mauve but fantastic.

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 10:05AM
More Discussions
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
Anyone use shrub covers to overwinter in zone5?
I was looking at ways to protect my hydrangeas next...
jager1
Looking for hardy hydrangeas to plant.
Looking to plant a couple of hardy hydrangeas. Live...
abykatz22
When to plant new hydrangeas? Zone 7
Hello! I had a new patio put in this fall and want...
Lrw2a
Sponsored Products
Johnson Brothers Willow Earthenware Salad Plate - Blue - Set of 4 - WEDG683
$45.00 | Hayneedle
Queen 500TC Lia Fitted Sheet - MIRTILLO(DK BLUE) (QUEEN FITTED)
$215.00 | Horchow
Wyndham Beige and Blue Rectangle: 5 Ft. In. x 8 Ft. In. Area Rug
$270.95 | Bellacor
Cay Cream Pleated Drum Shade Wexler Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Lorren Home Trend 'Blue' 16-piece Square Stoneware Dinnerware Set
Overstock.com
City Blues Clock
$53.99 | Dot & Bo
Blue & White Picture Frame
$21.99 | zulily
Pewter Whitehaus 614.828SH Wall Mounted Blairhaus Bath Shower Head & Valve