Iris with no stem?

cardwellaveMay 26, 2011

I bought three Iris from a local nursery (Block's). They were obviously foliage with buds. One of them (Blueberry delight) opened, but it's not on a stem. It opened at the base of the folage. So basically the flower is flopped all over the leaves at the bottom. Because I bought them already as foliage and not just a fall bulb/rhizome, did it not grow a stem? I am confused and disappointed!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Bummer! It may have done that because of the move from one place to another. Were they transplanted recently? The shock could have caused it. I expect that it will be okay the next time it blooms.
Renee

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 12:36AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

this sometimes happens with hosta ...

the suggestion is that the flower stem .. when still in bud form was damaged .... and stopped growing.. but the plants inclination to bloom prevails ....

should be all set next year ...does blocks specialize in iris .. where is it ...

ken

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 7:58AM
cardwellave

It is a huge greenhouse/nursery here in SE Michigan. They have like 30 some greenhouses and NO parking in the summer. Very good prices on flowers and perennials. Lowe's had some nice tall stemmed iris already bloomed but were about $10 each. I got three from Blocks for $10 and the one has the results I spoke of (although it has a second bud on a slightly taller stem maybe 4 inches). One of the others appears to have lost its bud somehow (we have had very wet weather lately), and the third has its bud still at the base of the foliage.

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 8:18AM
More Discussions
Bottle Rocket
Pretty Tall Bearded from last years bloom, Crossed...
criris_z8
WANTED: Want any iris , daffodils tulips or lilies
If you are dividing your iris beds and have extra irises...
josephlee
Looking for iris Frost and Flame
Hi, I m looking for the iris Frost and Flame by the...
gibsongirl74_gw
Iris douglasiana
I'm looking for sources for this iris that will ship....
herbal
Homeless US Navy Veteran w. Iris seed to trade
Hello, I currently live at the Homeless Veterans Emergency...
BearState
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™