Ppm for lettuce?

Rio_GrandeSeptember 3, 2013

I want to maximize our lettuce production. We have a ppm rating on our water of about 300. If I follow the directions on my fertilizer I end up with over 1000 ppm I have been throttling back to about 600 ish. With a ph around 6.5

In my old res the lettuce were consuming about 50 ppm a day. I put the new res in today and just ph corrected and brought the ppm up to about 600.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PupillaCharites(FL 9a)

The added calcium and magnesium probably in the water won't hurt the lettuce, and if your farm water is yours, it would be worth analyzing it for a few bucks to know for sure. Cutting back too far on the nitrogen will reduce the growth rate and the other stuff in the water probably isn't doing anything much to add to nutrients, just raising the salinity. Wow, I just noticed, you said the pH down brought it from 300 to 600 ppm, ufff. When you top off, use rainwater!

It all depends on where you are with the current formula. Probably you want to shoot for around 115-120 ppm for nitrogen in there and just let the rest fall however it falls.

This post was edited by PupillaCharites on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 16:46

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 4:39PM
Rio_Grande

My problem is I am using a " complete fertalizer" it has cal and mag already in it. How would I ever measure the strength of the nitrogen alone week to week?

Plants look good, I am just trying to make sure I am giving them as much as they will take and not too much. I am looking for a local test site for our water.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 1:23PM
PupillaCharites(FL 9a)

Well, somewhere I read the dedication in some book, "The plants will be the final judge" but you wanted to optimize.

For the test lab, you might want to mail it instead to these guys who really know what they are doing, $36 bucks abnd the kit is sent free:

Water or Fertilizer solution test

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 1:49PM
More Discussions
coco peat as a medium
I have been using cocopeat for a very short while,...
theflgardener
Nutrients and PPM
I'm new to hydroponics and have a question. I bought...
amint17
Making the aquarium to hydroponic switch! Advice?
Hello, I have been an aquarium geek for quite some...
Paulywog0667
Need advice on how to sell indoor hydroponic equipment
Hi there, I live in Western Colorado and have a large...
Robin Palmer
Who Else Has Vertigro Stackers?
I'm curious how many people are using Vertigro Stackers...
twisted76017
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™