Can a Rain Forest reservoir be repaired?

jwk1(zone 4a)September 12, 2013

I have four Rain Forest units that have been in storage for about five years in my basement. Unfortunately, family members decided to just pile stuff on top of them and three out of the four reservoirs have split sides.

Does anyone know if there is a way to repair these? Replacing will cost at least $75 a piece. Thanks for any info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nekbet(6)

try JB Weld to patch them up

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 10:37PM
cole_robbie(6)

Isn't it just a common three gallon bucket and lid?

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 6:33PM
jwk1(zone 4a)

No, the reservoir holds 17 gallons.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 2:23PM
cole_robbie(6)

ohhhh, I see now that they changed it. I put a link below to what they used to look like.

The new one looks built to break. I like jb-weld, too. Silicon sealant also works well. You can buy aquarium sealant if you like. Fiberglass drywall tape can be used to patch over large holes. And whatever glue you use, rough up the plastic first with a little sandpaper or some sort of abrasion to make it bond better.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 2:20AM
PupillaCharites(FL 9a)

Without knowing any better, any epoxy ought to work, so no need to go to the auto department for JB which is just half epoxy and half fine iron and limestone for high temperature performance.

High temperature is not necessary for this, just the most waterproof regular epoxy ought to do better and be less to think about adding to the rainforest, stable as it likely may be.

If it were mine, I would check what plastic it was (looks like polystyrene?) If it happened to be polyethylene which can be problematic even for epoxies, I would just melt strips cut from a milk carton or a HDPE plastic bottle (vitamins, protein powders and many foods) with a heat gun over the injury and really weld it with its matching material.

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 3:23AM
More Discussions
Using Miracle Gro
Has anyone used Miracle Gro (the blue water-soluble...
frangeb
cilantro grow questions
I am new to hydroponics and thought i would start with...
morb1lee
Non-profit sustainable farm needs help to re-plumb hydro-system
We had two old hydroponics grow tables both about 4x4...
brettkp808
coco peat as a medium
I have been using cocopeat for a very short while,...
theflgardener
Sea 90 any good?
Is Sea 90 any good for Kratke non circulating method? I...
Lee Williams
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™