Help on garden gate design

MrNorthDecember 28, 2004

Hiya again...

I have been thinking about various ways of designing the gate which will be the entrance to my backyeard... and the first thing people will see is the pond. So, I want to give the peope a "hint" that they are entering something which has a japanese inspiration. ANd I also want this to affect the gate itself. So, I have in paint created a rough sketch on what I planned to build. I definetly want it with a door, so the moon gates are out of the question...

Please check this image

http://www.odla.nu/album/data/mrnorth/full_1431_p21760.jpg

And make any suggestions and alterations you desire to (in your opinion) make it more like it would belong to a japanese garden. I have thought about making the walls with bamboo, but since the house and all its walls are "western style" it would be too much of a distraction.

And both the walls and the gate has a tiled roof which allow water to flow away.

I would be happy if you perhaps also can provide links to pages with pictures of similar garden gates...

thanks

Henrik

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrNorth

HI again... After spending about 1 more hour googling... I actually managed to find a rather useful link

http://www.woodsshop.com/kits1/kits1.htm

it includes some useful designs... And Im pretty´sure I can manage to build some of the simpler roof designs myself ;) Im a shitty carpenter, but I think I can manage this hehe

thanks!

Henrik

Bookmark   December 28, 2004 at 6:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coachsmyth(4 Canada NWBC)

Henrik- I went through the same dilemma
Herb and others helped me out tremendously- you might want to check over on the gallery page for my original thread and see what happened

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: garden web discussion

Bookmark   December 28, 2004 at 7:07PM
More Discussions
my little piece of japan (2)
what do you think ???
elramonegouda
Are Japanese Maples Deer Resistant?
I have several recently purchased Japanese Maples and...
Giacamo
Pine Cloud pruning advice
I need some advice on pruning this pine. Here is a...
diyspa
other varieties of cherry blossom trees?
I just planted two Kanzan and one Yoshino cherry blossom...
Socal2warm
Rock placement
Here are 2 groupings I've done so far. Looking for...
waterbug_guy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™