Nutrient feed methods revisited

Rio_GrandeSeptember 15, 2013

Buried in another one of my long wordy threads we talked about delivery of the nutrient to the rail. I wanted to discuss it here again with some new ideas.

We use alot of drip irrigation products, one is drip tape. While the drip would be far too slow for a nft system such as mine, with a foot spacing between emitters there is plenty of room for me to cut straws out.

The reason I am looking at this is I am weary of 1/4 inch delivery that is barely big enough and if any blockage occurs we can loose a whole rail overnight. I was running a double 1/4 setup per rail for a while, but I was constantly chasing a drip or 5. I finally got all the 1/4 lines to seal and now they keep clogging.

So is there something out there that is not 5.00 a valve that I can use to solve this?
I need to move my main above the inlet instead of having the pump push to fill each tube gravity can do the job. I want to be able to increase and decrease the flow in the rail. And the rails must remain moveable/removable.

I like the PVC idea but once I priced all the fittings I just need to find a cheaper solution..

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sdgrower

Try installing a Y-filter on the 3/4" main after the pump to remove anything that would clog the 1/4" delivery lines. A cheap paint filter on the end of the return before going back in the reservoir can catch some junk too.

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 10:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ward1961(6B/7A)

My wife came up with the idea to use fiberglass screen wire over the outlet lines. This has worked well keeping stuff out of the tank and plugging lines. I'm looking for a good source for IV clamps to control the flow.
Ward

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 8:16PM
More Discussions
Sea 90 any good?
Is Sea 90 any good for Kratke non circulating method? I...
Lee Williams
organic hydroponic ferilizer
I am looking for a good source for organic hydroponic...
little sur farm
Exploring the Kratky Hydroponic method for indoor vegetable growi
I've beem OD'ing on Youtube and Garden Web exploration...
delaware
Kratky Method Lettuce
I have been growing lettuce indoors using the Kratky...
nuverde
Hydroponic blueberry, blackberry and raspberry
Hallo, has anybody tried black-, blue- or raspberry...
tomato_tom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™