Is there a Japanese dwarf cherry tree ?

taralynna(9)December 23, 2007

Hello all. I am brand new here. I bought a house about 6 months ago and with it came a very run down koi pond in the back yard. The pond is in great shape now and has given me so much enjoyment that I've decided to build a Japanese garden around it.

I would like to include a cherry tree in my garden, but due to space issues I need a dwarf cherry tree. Something along the lines of 10-15 FT tall. I found a website that has dwarf cherry trees but I am wondering if all cherry trees are Japanese or if some wont look right? Also on the website it talked about some trees needing another tree to fruit and some can produce fruit on its own. Do I need a tree that fruits or just one that blooms?

PS: For anyone in the LA area; I visited the Japanese garden at Cal Poly Pomona today and found it to be wonderful. Its small but very nice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yama(7b Ga)

Hi tara
dwarf or conpact. how dwarf ?
Most of flowering cherry came from Japan. We have over 300 named variet of Cherry trees. Fuji sakura/fiji zakura is compact cherry tree.
USDA bans import cherry trees from Japan. so 1that limited number of cherry exist in US.
during in spring, cherry tree atract many catapiars.(and it's mother ^^).
Because of it, Chree tree is not recommanded to plant next to, close to pond.
yama

Bookmark   December 25, 2007 at 5:13PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

I would definitely choose Prunus mume for this, the early flowers with penetrating sweet fragrance are hard to beat. Surely worth putting up with a possible fruit mess.

Here is a link that might be useful: L.E. Cooke Company - Flowering Apricots

Bookmark   December 25, 2007 at 6:12PM
windsmith

Many Japanese garden plants are marginally adapted to California- it might be possible in your garden to plant a california storax (google "calphotos styrax redivivus" for images)which will reach 15', is deciduous, and will relish the heat and drought, and has knockout beautiful early summer flowers. Be warned- it is rather uncommon (maybe check Tree of Life, Rancho Santa Ana BG) and looks pretty stark the first couple of seasons in the ground.

Bookmark   December 27, 2007 at 11:37PM
taralynna(9)

Thank you all for the information. I'm so glad to find this forum.

Bookmark   January 2, 2008 at 8:29AM
More Discussions
thread or sites with weeping maples in the landscape
Hi folks! I've been searching google images for landscape...
Bama_Joe
my little piece of japan (2)
what do you think ???
elramonegouda
Mini Zen Garden inspired display
Saludos desde Puerto Rico! I plan to make a 3 level,...
Bryan_Boricua
Please help! How can I save my 7' Fireglow??
I really hope someone can help me. I purchased a 7'...
BluRdgMtns
Scorched Japanese maple
Hi guys I live in Melbourne Australia I have had my...
jamie333
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™