Pink Diamond Hydrangea Tree attracts Flies

beeperAugust 10, 2008

I have a lovely 7' tall pink diamond hydrangea tree, but it seems to attract hundreds of flies! Does anyone know why, or what I can do about it?? (picture of tree at link shown below)

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of pink diamond hyd. tree

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Some pests that suck plant juices from the leaves underside will secrete a black mold/honeydew substance that in turn attracts other insects like ants. Determine if the shrub is being infected by aphids, scale, mealybugs or whiteflies and then apply an appropriate control such as lady bugs and insecticidal soaps.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 11:16AM
razorback33(z7)

Hydrangea paniculata's have fragrant flowers. That may be what is attracting the Flies. That said, I have never observed them on any of mine. However, you may have a species of Fly that is not common in this area.
Rb

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 11:52AM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Are you certain they're flies.

My paniculata get lots of flying critters, too. But they're all sorts of small flyers related to bees and wasps.

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 12:59AM
corncub42

I have tons of flies in my back yard which is very small (I live in a town house in the city) it never occurred to me it might be my pink diamond hyd! Yikes, I hope that's not what is attracting the flies because I would hate to have to take these plants up... how does one find out? are there other people out there with this issue?

Bookmark   August 30, 2008 at 1:56PM
ditas

Hello H lovers - I have several H paniculata bushes as well as all sorts of flying critters big (swallowtail butterflies) & small (smaller than flies DK what they are) & a few flies, that come to the blooms too! As razorback33 said the fragrance attract them ... nectar, I'm certain. The same critters do not come as plentiful, to the mopheads in my observation, since they have no fertile ones. It seems that the fertile florets are the ones they come to.

I don't spray - 'have never bothered/stung me nor others here ... must be too busy or too drunk to bother with the likes of us!!! LOL The only ones I try & catch with a net are the Black Hornets - very energetic flyers & sly! I also warn those who stop by, & sniff the blossoms ... for obvious reasons!!!

Now that the fertile florets have fuzzed up & matured - dropping & dusting their bases, there are less of the critters & have moved on to the others - bloomers ... Butterfly Bush, Aster, Rose of Sharon, Lantana Blue Beard etc.

For whatever it's worth ... enjoy our last few months, before we put them to bed!!!

Bookmark   August 31, 2008 at 12:52PM
ostrich(3a AB)

My paniculatas certainly attract flies too, esp. my Quick Fire, and to some extent, my Pink Diamond. However, that never bothered me.... they did not seem to damage the plants at all, so I just ignored them.

Bookmark   August 31, 2008 at 6:15PM
More Discussions
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
So Cal Hydrangeas growth is stunt
Hi, I live about 3 miles from the beach in Southern...
nikole220
How are those limelight hedges looking? (pic)
I know a lot of us were planting limelight hedges this...
joannemb
I assume all is lost. ?
Deer have decimated almost all of my hydrangeas - probably...
luckyladyslipper
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™