Inherited a huge koi pond!

no_regrets(SoCal Sunset 23)February 16, 2007

We bought our first house last fall, and it came with a 1500-gallon pond (which had a lot to do with our decision, incidentally, as I'm a HUGE pond fan). In any case, I've had aquariums of varying sizes but never anything of this scale. Here's the setup:

-1500 gallon pond with two drains on the bottom and one overflow drain at the top in case of heavy rain

-Water goes from one of the two drains (there is a switch to pick which one) into an underground pre-pump filter basket, then through the pump into 2 approx. 100-gallon open-top barrels

-Both of them have biological filter material (bottle-cleaner looking things hanging down from the top) and drains on the bottom

-After the water goes through the two tubs it goes into a waterfall and back into the pond.

Seems to be pretty self-sufficient, I only drain out the tubs and clean out the pre-pump basket every month or so and the water is very clear. However, when I drain out the tubs the water that comes out is kind of smelly and I see little tiny critters crawling around in the tubs. Is this normal?

And is that smelly water good for plants? :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Where koi are concerned, 1500 gallons is small. What is your fish population?

The smelly water is very good for plants. Little critters could be dragonfly larvae.

Bookmark   March 3, 2007 at 11:54AM
More Discussions
Pond not deep enough
I purchased a house that has a small pond in front....
jennyzone5
Neighbor's Koi in our bass pond
Hi all...any help would be appreciated. After a heavy...
CandaceBuchholz
Growing family in a small house
I hope this forum is suitable for my request for advice....
townee
Koi Swimming In Flooded Shopping Mall In Bangkok
This is amazing - koi and other fish have taken over...
thaiguy1989
Kio Pond Pictures
I would love to see your kio pond pictures and the...
boystown
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™