Oak Leaf turning brown

mminlaAugust 27, 2010

I am having an issue with my oak leaf. Most all the leaves have dropped. The few that are still green and remaining are srarting to curl and all the blooms are brown. All other plants in the area are doing well. It has been an extremely hot summer, over 100 for about a month. At first I thought it was dry but I have been watering. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Lack of moisture could be a cause for all the browning if leaf browning is occuring everywhere. Maintaining the soil moist -not wet; not dry- should be the goal. Mulch can help and so can using the finger method.

Overwatering could also be a cause. If the roots remain wet for too long, oakleafs are notorious for getting root rot. The symptoms would mimic the ones of lack of water because rotted roots cannot absorb water well and the growth above ground browns out. Once root rot has taken a hold, there is not much that one can do. Watering only when the soil feels almost dry or dry helps. Use of mulch (3-4") helps. Planting above ground in raised beds helps if you have clay soil (clay soil drains poorly).

Winter damage can also be a cause browning during the summer time but I doubt you would see this issue in Zone 9 to this degree and I would expect it to be limited to some stems, not thru all the plant. Oakleafs are cold hardy to Zone 5.

In addition to moisture problems, the hydrangea leaf curler can cause leaf curling; fungal infections such as powdery mildew can cause curling as well.

Luis

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 3:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ditas

Hi - I lost my 3y/o Pee Wee Oakleaf after surviving a center-cane split from the 36" snow-pile ... mended, healed & gave me more than a doz cluster blossoms!!! Alas came nightly storms followed by steamy days in Jul ... planted at the bottom of a slope -AM sun site ... it was wet feet, as Luis posted.

Left him there for a while hoping for revival ... by end of Aug I replaced him w/ a potted Nikko-cane I succeeded to root & flowered ... should be happy in that site!!! Fingers XX'd!!!

Good luck ... (BTW - which Oakleaf do you have?)

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 10:42AM
More Discussions
When to plant new hydrangeas? Zone 7
Hello! I had a new patio put in this fall and want...
Lrw2a
Pruning Hydrangeas
Should I prune my hydrangeas this spring?
kgibbs25
Looking for hardy hydrangeas to plant.
Looking to plant a couple of hardy hydrangeas. Live...
abykatz22
Can someone please identify this hydrangea?
I found this at a local grocery store today and thought...
deedles
Hydrangea buds are rotting or being eaten in the center!
Even though it was raining when I took this photo,...
katyashydrangea
Sponsored Products
Pre-owned Framed French Art Deco Ad Poster - Un Fournier
$330.00 | Chairish
Pre-owned Framed Antique French Silk Textile
$425.00 | Chairish
MLB Ultimate Book of Records
$59.90 | Horchow
Axis Area Rug II
Home Decorators Collection
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs John Plum 8 ft.
Home Depot
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs John Plum 10 ft. x 14 ft.
Home Depot
Kingsburg Hammered Bronze 3-Piece Floor and Table Lamp Set
Lamps Plus
Sparkle Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™