Digging a pond, root question

euqruob(Phoenix, AZ)April 11, 2011

Hi, I am digging my first koi pond, after a few weeks of removing kooldeck cement with my trusty sledge hammer, I have started digging. I have come into contact with some roots from my neighbor's massive pine tree which is about 30 feet away, in his front yard. I chopped up the roots which transited where the pond is. While the roots are not to big, they left about a two inch "tunnel" on both sides. I'm going to try to clip them back as far as possible on the incoming side, do I need to do anything further? I really don't want these roots puncturing the liner. Got a couple more days of digging and shaping left (its been really rainy here, want to make sure I have the sides shored up.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nevermore44 - 6a

I don't know how aggressive pine roots art, i would think not that much... but..

you could always add extra underlining/carpet remnants in that area to help direct the roots down. I had to do that on some willow roots from a tree 20 feet away. At the end of the second year, the roots had gone under the 3 feet deep x 4 foot wide portion of the pond.. climbed back to the other side of the pond liner.. and got over the slight lip of the pond edge and found the water.

I had to hack back a 1 inch root that trailed into a huge mass of "witch's hair" nest of roots that were floating in the pond. Now that's a willow.. i pine should be okay i would think.

Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 3:30PM
More Discussions
Koi Swimming In Flooded Shopping Mall In Bangkok
This is amazing - koi and other fish have taken over...
thaiguy1989
High Nitrite Readings
Hello I finished building my koi pond halfway through...
Mitziu
%$$#@^ great blue herion
my koi pond is an all you can eat buffet for a blue...
jeff-1010
Hi Fin Sharks for Algae Control
Like everyone else, I struggled with spring time string/algae...
akarinz
barred owl ate 9 koi!
my koi are all gone! They've been in this pond for...
teeka0801
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™