Fish Dieing

rapidwiz(Zone 5)April 14, 2013

Hi,

I have lost a few fish this spring and want to know if any one has any ideas. I have had the pond for about 2 years. I know spring is the most dangerous with the bacteria and I guess I expect younger fish to die. But I am having fairly mature fish die for no reason.

I am in zone 5, so water doesn't get too cold, but maybe cold enough. Should I try bringing the fish in over winter?

My pond is 4.5 deep and I specifically built it to handle the milder winters. I keep my pump and air filter going thru out winter.

I did a PH and Ammonia Test and seems to be fine.

I have Gold Fish and Koi. The Gold Fish seem to weather it just fine. I have about 10 koi ranging from 14" to 3". I just had my 16" koi die.

I was thinking of getting a 300 Gallon Stock tank and keeping it indoors for the winter and shutting down the large pond ?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
darron43

If your using city water are you checking chlorine levels? What do you add to your water like koi caly, bacteria...etc.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 4:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rapidwiz(Zone 5)

I live in a remote area and we get our walk from a lake. I don't or haven't added any clay or bacteria. When I first started the pond, I bought some beneficial bacteria, but typically don't add any. I assume as the warm weathr starts, bacteria will naturally build up.

First time I have heard about koi clay

Water is about 45 degrees at the moment.

Thanks

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 8:08PM
More Discussions
Koi Swimming In Flooded Shopping Mall In Bangkok
This is amazing - koi and other fish have taken over...
thaiguy1989
Upper pond for water lillies?
Craigger7 recently posted a picture of large beautiful...
eleanorb190
Having issues controlling PH in a small pond
I've got a small pond (150gal) with 8x 4-5 inch koi...
Newguy27
Concentrated Barley extract
I have a 2000gls and I put 1.25oz of concentrated Barley...
Maria2013
winter 3000 gallon pond deicer / pond pump UNDER 2x4 wood frame
can i put a deicer and pond breather under a 2x4 wood...
WinterPondZone5a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™