Is Bombshell a bust?

whaas_5a(5A SE WI)August 4, 2012

I planted several 3 gallon Bombshell this past spring and they are struggling like crazy. Even all the plants in shade at the nursery look terrible.

They are severely thin and they didn't bloom what so ever.

This is the first time this has ever happened for a H. paniculata for me.

Granted its year one so we'll see what happens but for a first year plant its the worst of any paniculata I've tried.

My Limelight, Quickfire, Little Lime, Sweet Summer and Mystical Flame that I planted this year look substantially healthier and they all bloomed. Many other varieties I tried at my last home did well the first year too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
springwood_gardens(6B Pittsburgh)

I saw a bunch of 2-gal's in bloom and there's nothing impressive about them to me. In fact, I just passed on one that was $8 at HD. The flower heads are loose and not very robust. I could imagine some container or rooftop/balcony garden applications, but I can see this getting lost in most other gardens. There are white-flowered weeds that can get the same job done. Some white phlox paniculatas would actually be great.

I'd have to go with the other recent introduction 'Bobo' instead of this, but Bobo is strictly a Proven Winners issue and is not 'public domain' like Bombshell so it might not be as easy to get a hold of right away...

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 11:31AM
greenhavenrdgarden

That Bobo is beautiful. I'm dying to get a hold of a few!!! Love it!!!

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 2:38PM
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

I second the motion but I would have preferred another name for the plant.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 6:11PM
gardengal48

I quite like my 'Bombshell' :-) Only had it a couple of weeks but it is in full bloom now still in its 1G nursery pot. I picked this one because I garden almost entirely in containers now and wanted one that would stay pretty compact.

I don't find it to be any different in flower form or robustness than any of the other paniculatas I have grown, other than it is significantly scaled down.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 1:04PM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

I anxiously await next spring then!

I have a pre-planned area that is waiting for Bobo. I couldn't get the darn things this year. They will be readily available this upcoming spring.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 10:05PM
springwood_gardens(6B Pittsburgh)

And the Plants Nouveau Macs will be at HD's everywhere next spring.. Just throwing that in there. If only we could fast-forward 12 months ahead to next year's clearance prices.. lol

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 10:11PM
rouge21_gw(5)

whaas wrote: I have a pre-planned area that is waiting for Bobo. I couldn't get the darn things this year. They will be readily available this upcoming spring.

This so sounds like me this past spring!

I dug up some of our front lawn in March to make a new perennial garden. I was able to secure two small Bobos as anchor plants. So far they have been slow growing but at least they have been in the ground a couple of months. I planted two Bombshell as well in the past few weeks. Hopefully I will see their best next season.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 11:05PM
More Discussions
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
Kristin
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
Deer resistant hydrangea?
Hello! I am looking to replace some shrubs this spring...
chelseahasrouni
When to plant new hydrangeas? Zone 7
Hello! I had a new patio put in this fall and want...
Lrw2a
Sponsored Products
Ceramic Abstract Decor
Overstock.com
Modern Day Accents Antelope Wall Bust
Beyond Stores
Budding Blooms Bouquet
$369.00 | FRONTGATE
Lunares Stag Bust
$299.00 | FRONTGATE
Global Views 38H in. Apollo Bust - 3_30941
Hayneedle