Think I over pruned....

christieg77August 16, 2014

Hi folks,
I have 4 cityline hydrangas that haven't bloomed this summer. One did have a couple of blooms but the other three did not. After some research I think I might have overpruned them. I probably should have left them alone but read somewhere that they should be pruned. So anyways it's too late to undo that, but my question is - will the blooms be back next year if I leave them alone and don't do any pruning this year? Or are they ruined for good? :(
Thx!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

They aren't ruined for good, but you likely removed any flower buds for this year with your pruning. They bloom on wood produced the previous year, if you remove that, no flowers. The Cityline series charm in part is that they are more compact plants that can work in a smaller garden. Other than removing any winter damage, they really shouldn't require pruning at all, only deadheading if you wish to do that - removing the spent blooms to tidy up the plants.

You don't say which gardening zone you are living in. These are macrophylla hydrangeas and flower buds may be killed by harsh winters, Spring freezes if not protected too.

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 11:44AM
christieg77

Ok thanks morz. I live in Ontario and yes we did have a brutal winter ("polar vortex") but I protected them. So will the flower buds regrow and be back next year do you think?

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 1:33PM
Springwood_Gardens(6B Pittsburgh)

Lack of pruning (aside from removing dead wood) has been *the* key marketing point for the Cityline series since it was introduced.

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 2:18PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

They are setting their buds for next years display now. If you protect again and winter is a little kinder you will have flowers. If you don't prune and still don't have flowers, it will be your cold to blame in your climate.

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 7:50PM
More Discussions
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
nonconformist_nymphette
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon
Blue Billow Hardy in Chicago (Zone 5)
Looking to see if anyone has grown Blue Billow in the...
kfless
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™