Peegee Hydranga in trouble or okay?

coco4444August 24, 2014

I've had a peegee hydrangea shrub planted for ~6 years. This summer I noticed quite a few yellow leaves on the stems. It was during a dry part of the summer, so gave it some water. It is now flowering, but I'm noticing even more yellow flowers with quite a few dropped already. Am I just in denial that fall has started early, or do I need to baby the plant a bit? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

Probably due to not keeping it evenly watered but looks fine even with yellow leaves.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 3:40PM
luis_pr

Heat stress in the summer could make some leaves turn yellow. Lack of water would show up as leaf edges turning brown and growing brown inwards. Some of the leaves that are green appear to have leaf spot as a few of the yellow ones. Hard to say which came first as leaves that are yellowing and browning sometimes show these leaf spots more obviously than dark green ones do.

The leaves do not look like a nice dark green color. But that may have been the camera's fault. They were also too far away to tell if you have iron chlorosis so, check the soil pH to see if it is becoming alkaline or if the soil has a nitrogen problem. There are kits sold at plant nurseries that will check these things for you.

Try to maintain the soil as evenly moist as you can with few or no periods of dry/moist/dry/etc. Try not going overboard with moisture (that is, wet soil) as too much moisture feeds the spores. Dispose of the fallen plant debris in the trash. Water the soil (in the early morning hours) and never the leaves.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 3:44PM
Springwood_Gardens(6B Pittsburgh)

That shrub is at an age where you do NOT have to manually water it, unless in a severe drought.

I have many paniculatas and the one I watered the least has no yellow leaves.

Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 2:07PM
coco4444

Thanks very much everyone. Luis, I agree they are not a "nice dark green," rather a medium-light green. I fertilized everything in the spring with MG, then left them (lazy gardener!). I will attempt to check the soil pH. Google informed me as well that I may have overwatered.

Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
Zinfin Doll hydrangea
Hi, This is a new hydrangea or at least new to me....
Brooks23
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
So Cal Hydrangeas growth is stunt
Hi, I live about 3 miles from the beach in Southern...
nikole220
Oakleaf Hydrangeas and Late Freezes
I will be planting a Snow Queen Oakleaf Hydrangea and...
samnsarah
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™