Fish Attacked by ???

terrydunMay 31, 2009

Hi, Glad to have found this forum. I have a small Koi pond, maybe 1000 gallons, with three Koi and now one goldfish. At 7AM Saturday, I went out to feed the fish, and one of the goldfish, was lying on our patio next the the pond, with a large cut along its gill, flesh hanging, and bleeding. I spent hours trying to help, knowing that it was likely a lost cause. I live in a densely populated neighborhood where I have never personally seen a racoon. However, The night before the attack, I did see a very large bird fly slowly over our swimming pool. We live near Austin Texas. I have seen very large water birds at a lake about 10 miles away. The fish that was killed was about 5-6 inches top to bottom, and maybe 8 inches long not including the flowing fins and tail, which appear to have been nipped at as well. I am trying to figure out what happened here, so that I can understand what I need to do. The 3 Koi are 12-15 inches long, and the remaining goldfish is very young and maybe only 3 inches long. I have not see the smaller goldfish since this incident. It may be gone too. I do know that my pond is too shallow, having read about crane/heron attacks, but I have never had this problem in the 5-6 years I have had such ponds. If you have any thoughts on what I should be looking for to figure this out, or any ideas on how to prevent future attacks, I will be grateful. Any thoughts will be much appreciated. Terry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

While I am not familiar with the Austin area, I can promise you probably have a huge group of predators that know all about your pond. I am an insomniac so I get to see a population of critters that would horrify my neighbors. There are many birds that could be the culprit. Hawks, eagles, owls, kingfishers and of course the herons are starting or ending their hunts at sunrise or sunset when the fishies won't see them as easily. Then you have raccoons, coyotes, turtles and other 4 legged hunters and snakes. About the only thing that does the job well is a net. Many ponders resist it thinking it is too noticeable but it is the most effective against birds. The least noticeable is bird netting. For the larger critters a Fido Fence or similar device works well. Or you can sit by the pond at night as I do and scare the heck out of them with a good shot from a water hose at full force. If you need the sleep, a water cannon such as a Scarecrow works well for me. Sandy

Bookmark   June 3, 2009 at 1:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

If plants were disturbed as well, most likely a raccoon. I can assure you that they are there even if you never see them.

If plants are still pristine then a heron is the next most likely culprit. Something could have scared him off before he ate the fish. Usually they grab and swallow in one motion but if the fish is big they do stab them and leave them on the outside of the pond.

If you want to see them, get up really early just before sunrise and wait quietly. My husband has to get up at 4:30 for work and he sees the raccoons in our yard at least once a week....

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 8:49PM
More Discussions
can anyone help me identify my koi?
Just trying to learn as much about them as I can. Like...
James Denton
House came with koi pond/turtles. Help!
Hi. My husband and I just bought a house (in Los Angeles)...
rebsy
Concentrated Barley extract
I have a 2000gls and I put 1.25oz of concentrated Barley...
Maria2013
winter 3000 gallon pond deicer / pond pump UNDER 2x4 wood frame
can i put a deicer and pond breather under a 2x4 wood...
WinterPondZone5a
Pond not deep enough
I purchased a house that has a small pond in front....
jennyzone5
Sponsored Products
Antique Fishing Floor Lamp With Yellow Chimney
ParrotUncle
Man Law Premium Wood BBQ Tools - Set of 3 - MAN-H2
$69.99 | Hayneedle
Whistlers Fishing Village I Wall Art
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Rainbow Fish Chime
| Dot & Bo
Set of Four Blue Fish Coasters
$10.50 | FRONTGATE
Nautical Patchwork Lamp Shade 16x16x13 (Spider)
$99.91 | Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™