How much to feed seven fish...

4kids2love(7)May 7, 2013

I'm new to this site but it seems this is the one I continually come back to for information about our fish, bullfrogs, plants, & pond water quality. I've read many and various koi websites and it seems everyone has a slightly different opinion about feeding habits.
After a year with our seven beautiful fish, (photo of Raggy and Wallop is from early spring), I actually still wonder if we're over or underfeeding. (We have a fantail and a comet each 5"; two koi that are 6-8"; and three koi that are 4-5".)
Originally we were flinging unidentified amounts of koi pellets and watching to see what they could eat in 2-5 minutes daily. I finally adjusted to a tablespoon scoop so we could at least feed them a more uniform amount and begged everyone to remember that once a day might be sufficient and we need to check with each other before we feed them...but they will always eat what's tossed in. (Although my 11 year old still comes inside sometimes and says, "I just fed the fish!" about an hour after I've fed them...) We now feed them between 2 and 4 heaping TBSP's. Of course this is not a strict amount, the 8" is a big mouth koi can really gobble so we always watch to see who's getting to eat (or not) and toss in more or less accordingly. Does 2-4 TBSP of daily koi pellets for seven fish this size sound ((about)) right?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
darla84

I feed mine a handful every time I go outside. BUT I also clean the filter material every couple of days to keep the water clean and do frequent water changes.. Mine are huge and very healthy..

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 1:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chrisware(5-6 wv)

Ours get fed several times a day, but we have one connected to another by a stream with a large submerged filter. You'll just need to be careful depending on your pond size. More eats = More poops ;)
Our larger koi are about 18-20 inches and I think they'd eat non stop. I had a new baby koi last year that was 3 inches... now about 8
That least ours eat each day is 3 times, but once won't hurt them.
Chris

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 8:25PM
More Discussions
Neighbor's Koi in our bass pond
Hi all...any help would be appreciated. After a heavy...
CandaceBuchholz
House came with koi pond/turtles. Help!
Hi. My husband and I just bought a house (in Los Angeles)...
rebsy
Koi Pond Liners
I have been seriously pondering the design of a Koi...
flponder
how to lower ph
hello to all i'm having trouble lowering the ph balance...
jeff-1010
Koi Swimming In Flooded Shopping Mall In Bangkok
This is amazing - koi and other fish have taken over...
thaiguy1989
Sponsored Products
Tudor 7-piece Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Sara 59" Soaking Bathtub by Wyndham Collection - White
Modern Bathroom
Buyers Universal Underbody Mounting Brackets - 1701006
$74.90 | Hayneedle
4" Adjustable Beveled Cone Trim by Juno
$88.10 | Lumens
RAB VX2SH 70W High Pressure Sodium Outdoor Vaporproof Ceiling Fixture
LBC Lighting
Thermostatic Shower Tower Panel Column System
Hudson Reed
Gray Bold Flower Rebecca Wool Rug
$139.99 | zulily
Progress Lighting Alpha Trak White Track Lighting Flushmount Canopy Kit Accessor
$8.10 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™