Koi Spawning Pic

akarinzMay 17, 2012

Hi Everyone,

Haven't posted here yet, but thought I would show this picture of what I came home to last night. I guess the koi all had a good time while I was at work.

Karin

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnaz5(Z5 NY)

WOW!!! Great pic!! Did your poor lilies survive? Donna

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 10:38PM
akarinz

Lilles survived, but the parrot's feather was completely thrashed. Last night I went to clean out the pre-filter, as it appeared clogged. It was full of string algae, which was full of eggs.

Karin

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 7:07PM
koi10608

My 1st Koi is about 6 years old and 12". He was kind of white when I bought him. He turned yellow a few years ago. Now he is splashed with a faint orange. I have been feeding better food. Is this good or bad?

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 12:16PM
debrrr

We recently put in a Koi pond and have 3 koi that were given to us by our neighbor. We did not know if they were males or females. Over the last 2 days 2 of the 3 koi laid eggs. The one that did not lay eggs did not seem interested so we are assuming that it is also a female. After the koi got done thrashing around on the plant ledges we found hundreds of eggs in the skimmer. Also, now our water is full of white foam. Is there something we need to do to clear the water up? This is our first experience at having a koi pond and are a little bit lost at the moment.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 7:54PM
carolyn18810(z5)

The foam will go away after a day or so.

If you want to raise the koi fry, it is a good idea to remove the eggs after they spawn and put them into a separate tank with pond water, as the koi will eat the eggs after spawning.

You will need a bit of aeration to keep the water from stagnating. An air stone will do the job, just dont' have the force from the air too hard in the fry tank.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 5:33PM
More Discussions
Koi Outgrowing Pond
Details: Started with what I was told were two male...
sandiego.gardner
Hi Fin Sharks for Algae Control
Like everyone else, I struggled with spring time string/algae...
akarinz
Neighbor's Koi in our bass pond
Hi all...any help would be appreciated. After a heavy...
CandaceBuchholz
winter 3000 gallon pond deicer / pond pump UNDER 2x4 wood frame
can i put a deicer and pond breather under a 2x4 wood...
WinterPondZone5a
%$$#@^ great blue herion
my koi pond is an all you can eat buffet for a blue...
jeff-1010
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™