First winter with rooted cuttings

whiteforest(6 MI)August 31, 2013

I have several cuttings rooting in my kitchen window in water. I'm going to pot them up this weekend. But with fall approaching, I'm wondering if I should try to grow them in windows through this winter, or if I just allow them to freeze in the garage.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

In Z6, I would be tempted to plant them in Spring in the ground so they are somewhat prepared for your cold winters (so keep them in a protected garage once dormant and water them every week or every 2 weeks).

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 5:13PM
whiteforest(6 MI)

I don't have any intentions of planting these in the ground. I plan to keep them in containers. I just wasn't sure that newly rooted cuttings would survive dormancy in the garage at all, or if they were better off staying in my kitchen windows through the winter once they're potted.

I have 6 in the ground, but I am concerned about their longevity due to all the silver maples in my yard.

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 6:21PM
madeyna(7/8)

I kept my cuttings in the house in the unheated attic window over the winter. Just a little warning though about half of them will go dorment anyway and lose their leaves. Every single one came back up for me in the spring though.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 3:17PM
More Discussions
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
So Cal Hydrangeas growth is stunt
Hi, I live about 3 miles from the beach in Southern...
nikole220
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
nonconformist_nymphette
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™