Fence For Around Pond

townsendJune 7, 2007

We are troubled by a blue herrin that is trying to eat our fish. After 3 years, I feel that it is time to fence in our pond. The pond measures 18 x 14. I'd like to see pictures of fences that other people have used. Is there a solution that looks natural? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bulldinkie(pa)

Just pit a string of electric wire around it.Only thing is he probably will know.

Bookmark   June 13, 2007 at 7:08AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

My husband modified a Fishock electric fence by using bamboo poles for the uprights and copper tubing instead of the wire. A wire leads from the transformer and wraps around the copper. It works great and looks nicer than the green plastic poles and wire.

Fishock fences are available at Petco and Petsmart and are lower voltage and safer than livestock fencing which can give quite a jolt.

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 9:53PM
nancyd(5/Rochester, NY)

I've heard from others that a fence won't necessarily do the trick - some birds have been known to fly directly into a pond or sit on the fence and glide in that way. There are very few hard and fast rules for herons. Each bird seems to be different. Our pond is approximately your size and we decided to use a net overnight and when we're not home. I fought it for a long time, but it's really not that bad. The only thing we have to avoid using are very tall plants. It's the only thing that worked on a very persistent heron and gave us peace of mind.

Bookmark   July 27, 2007 at 11:36AM
smb1146_aol_com

I want to protect kids from falling in my small pond but I don't want to keep small animals away from water's edge, like rabbits and badgers and ducks with babies. If I put a wire fence with metal poles about 10 inches above the ground would that work? Or would other probelms occur that I haven't thought of?

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 9:49PM
USMCRET96

I have a Scarecrow Motion Activated Water Sprinkler (http://www.safepetproducts.com/scarecrow-motion-sprinkler.html0. This keeps away everything when turned on.

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 8:35PM
More Discussions
Wintering over Koi in Michigan
I have an approx 1500 gallon koi pond and waterfall...
DrThought
winter 3000 gallon pond deicer / pond pump UNDER 2x4 wood frame
can i put a deicer and pond breather under a 2x4 wood...
WinterPondZone5a
New to koi
Hi folks, I just picked up an established koi pond...
james_vagabond
High Nitrite Readings
Hello I finished building my koi pond halfway through...
Mitziu
Kio Pond Pictures
I would love to see your kio pond pictures and the...
boystown
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™