Transplanting quercifolia

abrodie(z6 ON)August 17, 2010

Hi, I am moving in a month and there are about 6 things I plan to bring with me. I can replant the same day. I have an oakleaf hydrangea, 4-5 years old. Used to be "pruned" by rabbits every year, but I protected it with chicken wire for a few years and it's now 3 1/2 feet tall. It's the loveliest thing in the garden in the autumn.

What are the survival odds if I dig it up with a huge rootball and mind it carefully til winter?

Ann

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

I am going to have to travel to Las Vegas to fugure out the odds :o)

but, if you can get as big a rootball as is practical and provide it with TLC, you should be good to go. I had to dig out and plant back two hydrangeas temporarily and they managed to survide the house repairs. I got the rootball wet before starting, tried to maintain the root ball and soil intact (as much as was practical), covered the soil/roots with Icantrememberthename, place it in the shade (in an area with little wind exposure and applied root stimulator when planting back. Checked the moisture for a while using the finger method and yes, I still had some die back but that was two years ago and they are doing fine now. Note: I had to get help moving them because they were HEAVY when wet.

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 4:05AM
More Discussions
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
How are those limelight hedges looking? (pic)
I know a lot of us were planting limelight hedges this...
joannemb
Endless Summer Hydrangea Wont Bloom
Hi. I have 2 Endless Summer Hydrangea's. This is the...
emba129
What Hydrangea to grow in full sun
Hi, I'm a total newbie to gardening. I want to plant...
Kachana
where to order hydrangea?
Hi, I want to get Zinfin Doll and Bloomstruck hydrangea...
Brooks23
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™