Anyone growing citrus trees?

wordwizOctober 29, 2010

I possess a dwarf banana, lemon, orange and tangerine tree and plan on adding a peach, apple and pineapple. Google leads led nowhere, except for a couple of sites that suggested drip irrigation, which I don't really consider hydro. Supposedly the roots need to sort of dry out, which would mean an Ebb & Floor type, or maybe aeroponics on a timer. I know a banana will grow great in a DWC system - I add a week per leaf like clockwork.

Ideally, I would like to grow these in hydro until at least next fall and if necessary until the spring of 2012 when I will give them a permanent home in my garden. Preferably, I do not need to do E&F but I might be able do aeroponics on a timer. My preference, simply because I have the equipment and it is the simplest, is DWC.

If you have any advice or experience, I'm all eyes!

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerhydro

Do you have any pictures of the trees you are growing? We are currently in the process of growing some plants, like tomatoes and such. It seems a little boring, but i honestly think citrus trees will be a good idea. Goodluck!

Bookmark   November 6, 2010 at 1:23AM
wordwiz

tiger,

e-mail me: wordwiz@fuse.net

Mike

Bookmark   November 6, 2010 at 10:30PM
bilberrybrian

It can be done. My own experience was starting seeds from lemon and oranges in soil, then moving them into rockwool blocks after maybe a month. The rockwool blocks were put placed in GH waterfarms with hydroton clay pellets. It was fun and surprisingly easy. I still have maybe four trees, all in soil at this point, alive after maybe three or four years. Keep an eye out for mealy bugs and fungus gnats.

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
Hydroponically Grown Kale - Convert to Soil?
I bought a package of hydroponically grown kale plants...
eahamel
What can I do to learn more about planting or farming????
Hi all! I'm a beginner at hydroponics gardening......
skttls
Blooms dropping on Red Robin tomato in my Aerogarden, no new blooms.
I'm new to Hydroponics, I bought an Aerogarden a few...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Lettuce is infected
Can anyone tell me what my lettuce is being infected...
SNosko
Sea 90 any good?
Is Sea 90 any good for Kratke non circulating method? I...
Lee Williams
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™