Herds of rabbits...

leafwatcher(zone 5)June 9, 2014

I swear they are everywhere. I keep seeing them in groups of three and four along the roads in the yards.. Its insane.

I am trying to grow a few flowers from seed, they have been mowing them down.. Even my Golden Tiara can't grow fast enough to be safe at times. They totally topped off a new Heuchera.. I fenced it and saved it.

So far they are only hiding under the bigger Hosta, and not cutting them off. But I fear the dry season ..then who knows?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trudy_gw

Herds is a good word for the rabbits this year. Also fear dry weather! The winter was so harsh on plants, but the rabbits multiplied...not going there!

Nice rains we have been having so far.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 11:59AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Leafwatcher, if you cannot lick them, join them.

I discovered up in MA (zone 5B at the time) that they loved my nasturtiums. Can you plant a long row of that somewhere away from the hosta? I wish I had a picture to show you of the 100 foot x 4 foot wide row of rampant nasturtiums. Spicy leaves and flowers. I learned that aphids can come in other colors besides green from these plants, but also that they set prodigious amounts of seeds and rabbits love to eat them and hide in them.

A little sacrificial produce couldn't hurt, could it? Plus they are gorgeous. I was trying for the Claude Monet effect. It is too hot to grow them down here, or I would use them a lot.

I think rabbits come in "warrens" or some such, not "herds"...although they seem to be herbivores. Check out a fantasy novel titled WATERSHIP DOWN lovely story about rabbits or hares.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rabbit community

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 12:02PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Try sprinkling dried blood or blood meal around the seedlings.

tj

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 1:39PM
bkay2000

Mocc, plant your nasturtiums in the fall in pots. I haven't tried it yet, but it was suggested in the gardening section if the paper.

bk

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
Wave Runner
Does anyone have Wave Runner? There aren't too many...
bkay2000
Hosta F 2014
A dog thinks: Hey, these people I live with feed me,...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Pips in Sweden
I think the USA got our winter by mistake this year...
stoc zone 6 sweden
Hosta S 2014
Q. What is the biggest word in the world? A. Smiles....
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
HOSTAS TOXIC TO DOGS (and cats too)
I just discovered hostas are toxic to dogs. How did...
hostanista
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™