citric acid vs sulphuric, phosphuric, ammonia etc....

ro66October 3, 2007

Hello, I am new to the site.loved reading some of the entries...q's....does anyone have experience using a simple citirc acid for balancing ph levels...rather than the more common forms?? I need a range of 5.8 - 6.2 ph.....I have source h20 at 7.3-7.5........I am looking for histry of citric acid in relation to it's affect on nuits, will citric acid affect tomato plants in a negative way???Oh, I also grow in a perlite/coconut coir mix medium, irrigated 2x each hr...during sunlight......

Thanks RO

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greystoke(South Africa(11))

Welcome ro

Nothing wrong with citric acid as far as I know. I'm using vinegar (5%) mostly. It makes a reasonable buffer with the calcium and magnesium in solution. I use about 1mL (or something like that) per 100L nutrient for every 0.1pH point to go down. Never seen any problems.

Bookmark   October 4, 2007 at 12:50AM
kea2

Can you also use baking soda to raise pH?

Bookmark   October 7, 2007 at 10:53AM

Yes!
½ tps per 100L of nutrient!

Bookmark   October 7, 2007 at 11:34AM
kea2

Hold on, did you mean millilitres (ml)? Because 100 litres (l) is a lot of water.

Bookmark   October 7, 2007 at 3:06PM

I meant what I said, ie: one hundred litres
It would be enough to increase pH by ±0.1 point at the time.

Bookmark   October 7, 2007 at 11:37PM

Oh, . . . . and I meant to say that it should be bicarbonate of soda (NaHCO3)
Hope that's what you meant by "baking soda"

Bookmark   October 7, 2007 at 11:42PM
kea2

OK, math...
To lower pH from 7.0 to 6.0, I'd have to add 10 ml of 5% vinegar per 100L of water.

= 0.1 ml vinegar per 1L of water.

So I first should dilute the vinegar with 9 parts water, and then add 1 ml of that mixture (less than a quarter teaspoon) to 1 L of water. Does that sound about right?

Bookmark   October 8, 2007 at 2:37AM

Perfect!
But remember that this is NOT perfect science. I suggest you add half - just to see what happens - then - based on the result - work out how much more you need, and add that.
Keep notes!

Bookmark   October 8, 2007 at 4:27AM
kea2

Thanks for all your help. I've learned a lot. I should go get some of those pH test strips from the aquarium shop tomorrow. Now I just need to figure out why the leaves at the bottom of my basil (the one that had the ant problem) are turning yellowish-white. I think I've ruled out over-watering, so it must be some kind of nutritional problem.

Bookmark   October 8, 2007 at 10:46AM
tclynx

often overfeeding (too strong nutrient) should be the first thing to rule out along with way out of whack pH.

I had a pH situation not too long ago, my pH tester quit working and would only read 7. I was wondering why even after adding lots of pH down the reading was still the same. I went and got some test strips and sure enough, I'd dropped down around 4 and the plants were starting to show signs of stress (keep in mind I was only adding a little acid per day as it is easy to overdo and it can take a while for what you add to mix properly.)

Now if I can collect enough rain water to use in my hydroponics I don't need to adjust the pH down as the nutrients are enough to handle the pH of the rain water. Whenever I have to use my well water, I need to worry more about the pH.

Bookmark   October 19, 2007 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
Kratky Method Lettuce
I have been growing lettuce indoors using the Kratky...
nuverde
Floating Raft system
i am interesting to build a green house with Floating...
nikolascyprus
Hydroponically Grown Kale - Convert to Soil?
I bought a package of hydroponically grown kale plants...
eahamel
Who Else Has Vertigro Stackers?
I'm curious how many people are using Vertigro Stackers...
twisted76017
Need advice on how to sell indoor hydroponic equipment
Hi there, I live in Western Colorado and have a large...
Robin Palmer
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™